Moon lose final league clash

Killymoon Rangers 1 Armagh City 4

KILLYMOON Rangers finished their 2011/2012 IFA Championship 2 season in disappointing fashion as they were beaten by 4-1 by Armagh City. The home sides form had been indifferent over the last few weeks. Only weeks ago they defeated champions Coagh United but were soon defeated by basement club Chimney Corner.

The home side started the game on the front foot. Kevin Kelly fired in a free kick but Purvis was unable to latch onto it and the chance was gone.

Kelly was influential in the opening stages and after an excellent one two with Stewart, he was unable to finish past Armagh keeper Morgan.

The Moon took the lead in the tenth minute. Armagh cleared their lines from a corner but John Scott slid the ball to Kelly who crossed once again for McMullan to rise highest and power the ball home.

Armagh responded well. Cusack had two half chances but was unable to find the back of the net.

The home side were still very dangerous on the counter attack and Stewart had the ball in the back of net after a swift break from a well defended corner. However, his effort was ruled out for offside.

Armagh soon grabbed themselves a goal just prior to the half time interval. Cullen scored from a quickly taken free kick.

Whatever was said in the Armagh changing rooms seemed to inspire the visitors. Within two minutes of the restart, the away side were two goals clear. Sheridan saw his cross crash off the post and in at the back post. Only moments later Cullen fired an unstoppable drive from 25 yards to make it 3-1.

Killymoon responded well and almost got themselves back into the match. Ali Young was desperately unlucky to see his free kick rebound off the post.

Young was involved in the next best opportunity for the home side when he nodded down McElhatton’s long punt to Moore who shot wide.

The visitors were soon down to ten men. Liam Cullen was sent off on 83 minutes for a second yellow card. The home side will wonder how they did not add to their one goal tally. Purvis broke the offside trap and somehow failed to score. Scott then had an effort go narrowly wide after a good Killymoon move.

Despite all of the pressure Armagh wrapped up all three points when in the 88th minute, a penalty was awarded for a handball in the box. Armagh keeper Morgan stepped up and fired home to leave it Killymoon Rangers 1 Armagh City 4.

Thanks must go to Hill Electrical who kindly sponsored the match ball.