Moon lose out to Dundela

Killymoon Rangers 1 Dundela 2

KILLYMOON lost out to East Belfast outfit at the Mid Ulster Sports Arena on Saturday. It was a disappointing result for the home side and with Moyola Park winning at home, Killymoon now lie in second last place.

Manager Brian McGarry gave debuts to new signings Marc Harkness and Philip McGarvey. The newly signed pair started in a new look central midfield partnership.

Both sides had their fair share of chances early on. Montgomey, Kelly and Purvis all went close for the home side while Roy and Wright failed to beat Michael Brown in the Killymoon goal.

Kevin Kelly was closest to breaking the deadlock when on twenty seven minutes he hammered a speculative effort off the woodwork.

The home side dominated the closing stages of the first half as Harkness and McGarvey went close. Harkness saw his effort well saved by the Dundela netminder and McGarvey latched onto a through ball from Warren Smith and saw his effort come back off the bar.

Early in the second half, Killymoon continued to put pressure on the away goal. Harkness saw his effort blocked and McMullan shot over from a long throw in.

However, a quick fire double from the away side provided them with a two goal lead. Hill opened the scoring when he scored from a direct free kick. Four minutes later Faulkner pounced on a through ball and rounded the keeper to make it 2-0.

Killymoon substitute Ally Young should have pulled a goal back with nine minutes left. Smith played a clever pass behind the defence and Young saw effort well saved by the Killymoon keeper.

It was a little too late for the home side as they eventually pulled a goal back. With two minutes left on the clock, Young scrambled the ball home for a corner. However, it was too late to find an equaliser as Dundela left the MUSA with three crucial points.

Killymoon Rangers; M Brown, J Scott, S Purvis, S McElhatton, D McMullan, M Harkness, D Shannon, P McGarvey, W Montgomery, K Kelly, W Smith. Subs; C Stewart, J Ferry, C Kilpatrick, J Young, A Young.

Killymoon will be looking to get back to winning ways again this Saturday when they travel to Knockbreda. Kick off at Upper Braneil is 3pm.

Killymoon Rangers 2nd XI returned to action on Saturday as they defeated Moyola Olympic 6-1 at Fairhill.

Both teams got off to a lively start in this Linda Welshman cup tie. It was a real tussle in the midfield and Killymoon did well to dominate the early stages. Birthday boy Chesney opened the scoring when he scrambled home from a corner to open the scoring.

Chances soon fell to McGaw and Brownlee who saw their efforts well saved by the opposition keeper. McGaw soon doubled the score as he nodded home before the half time interval.

Killymoon were looking comfortable in the early stages of the second half but Olympic came out and grabbed a goal to leave it 2-1. Substiute Ferson came on for Kelso and he had an immediate effect. Neil Young soon found his shooting boots when in the space of 20 minutes he grabbed a hat-trick.

Chesney got in on the act to grab the sixth of the game to leave it 6-1.

This Saturday Killymoon are at home again this Saturday when they face Mallusk Athletic at the Fairhill. Kick off is 2pm.

Killymoon Rangers FC deeply regret the death of Irene Barclay, mother of our committee member George and we extend our deepest sympathy to the family circle.

The club are holding their annual Night at the Races in the Royal Hotel on Saturday 25th February. Horse are on sale at £10 eacg. For more information contact any committee member or keep up to date with all the club news at