Moon progress in Intermediate Cup

Downpatrick 0 Killymoon Rangers 1

KILLYMOON progressed to the fourth round of the Coca Cola Intermediate Cup on Saturday as they defeated Downpatrick 1-0.

The tie was hastily rearranged to the Mid Ulster Sports Arena after Downpatrick declared their Rosconnor venue unplayable for the second weekend in a row. To avoid a fixture backlog both sides agreed to move the fixture to the 3G surface at MUSA.

It was the away side who started the game the stronger as they used the wind to their advantage. Killymoon custodian Michael Brown had to be on his toes as he turned a wicked free kick around the post.

The home side responded well as Stephen Purvis saw his powerful header from a Young cross turned around the post.

From the resulting corner Montgomery thundered a header towards goal. Unfortunately the ball slammed off the crossbar and into the welcoming arms of the Downpatrick keeper.

However, it was only a matter of time until Killymoon took the lead. With 22 minutes on the clock they grabbed what proved to be the only goal of the game. Shannon pounced on some hesistant play from the Downpatrick left back and played in Montgomery who ran through and finished with aplomb.

The home side dominated the remainder of the first half and went into the half interval one goal ahead.

Killymoon with the wind at their backs began the second half in a lively fasion. Both Young and Shannon went close to extending the lead.

The away side almost made Killymoon pay for their missed chances, a cross from the left was not cleared and the Downpatrick forward somehow spurned a superb chance.

In the last minutes of the game Michael Brown appeared to be on the receiving end of a head butt but the referee missed the altercation and the game finished 1-0 to Killymoon.

Killymoon; M Brown, J Ferry, J Young, S Mc Elhatton, D McMullan,D Shannon, W Montgomery, S Purvis, C Stewart, K Kelly, W Smith, Subs; J Scott, G Crooks, A Young.

Killymoon return to cup action once again this weekend when they face Banbridge Town in the fourth round of the Intermediate Cup. Kick off at the MUSA is at 2pm.

Killymoon Rangers 2nd XI travelled to Ballnynure OB 2nds on Saturday and came away with a 4-1 win. Paul Redford and an own goal secured a comfortable win for the Reserves.