Moyola and Killymoon share spoils

Moyola entertained neighbours Killymoon Rangers at the Mill Meadow on Saturday and both teams were left disappointed with a share of the points.

In the third minute Campbell won a corner down the right for the visitors and Moyola cleared the corner and broke dangerously; Michael Brown coming to Killymoon’s rescue. Moyola had a short corner cleared, and Young’s left wing cross was over hit. Neill then headed over the bar from a Campbell cross. On 14 minutes Killymoon should have taken the lead, another right wing cross, low across the face of goal was missed by the Killymoon players in the box.

A minute later McLean played in Colgan and he saw his shot saved by Brown. On 20 minutes Killymoon had a free kick, which McElhatton took and Neill’s effort on goal fell kindly for Donaghy, who saw his header saved by Maguire.

Marc Harkness had a shot saved by Gareth Maguire at his near post, both men playing against their former clubs.

A Moyola free kick from the half way line went over the bar on 27 minutes. Moyola had another free kick on 32 minutes on the left edge of the box, McLean took the free kick, Killymoon cleared the danger, and broke with Donaghy’s shot easily saved by Maguire.

A minute later Killymoon captain Purvis headed on a free kick, and Gareth Maguire duly kept out Donaghy’s shot. On 34 minutes Purvis fouled Paul on the edge of the box, and escaped with a yellow card. Lucas took the free kick which went over the bar.

In the dying minutes of the half, Colgan had a good chance for Moyola which he put high and wide.

Moyola almost took the lead following a mistake in the Killymoon defence, but the cross from Gallagher was just missed by Paul. In the 50th minute McElhatton had a shot for the visitors tipped over the bar by Maguire.

In the 61st minute former Moyola player Harkness fired a shot wide. Fumard broke the Moyola offside trap in the 72nd minute and it took a good save from Gareth Maguire to prevent Killymoon taking the lead.

On 73 minutes Moyola made a change with McFadden replacing Kenning and the visitors replaced Donaghy and Fumard with Stewart and Ferry. Cameron Stewart set up a chance for Andy Neill who was unable to finish. With very few chances in the closing minutes Moyola made two further changes with Pattison replacing Paul in the 85th minute and Scott replacing the injured McLean.

Killymoon broke forward at pace and it took a last ditch tackle to deny Young. In the last minutes of the game Lucas fired a free kick for the home side over the bar.

This was a very poor game with both teams creating very few chances and the home side will be disappointed only to take a point from the game.

Moyola Park: Maguire, Doey, Stewart, McQuillan, Kilpatrick, Gallagher, Lucas, McLean, Kenning, Colgan, Paul. Subs: Scott, Pattison, McFadden.

Killymoon Rangers: Brown, McGaw, Young, McMullan, Purvis, McElhatton, Campbell, Harkness, Donaghy, Neill, Fumard. Subs: Stewart, Ferry, Brown, Shannon.

Moyola Park take on Queen’s University in the Championship Two in their next match on Saturday at The Dub at 3pm.