Moyola Park match reports

MOYOLA entertained Armagh City at the Mill Meadow on Saturday looking of build on recent good performances against the PSNI. 

The visitors opened the scoring in the 6th minute when a cross from Cusack found the unmarked Cullen and he headed past Maguire. 

A minute later Montgomery had a shot however, Maguire saved this effort.

Midway through the first half the referee turned down a penalty appeal when Kelly found McIntyre who had his run halted. Two minutes later Lennox found himself free on the right and he fired a low cross into the Armagh City box however, Johnston just failed to connect at the back post. In the 27th minute the visitors should have doubled their lead when a free kick from Montgomery found the unmarked Moore however, he headed wide.

The visitors doubled the scoring on the stroke of half time when a run from A Nesbitt beat the home defence and he knocked the ball into an empty net after rounding Maguire. Armagh made a change at half time with Bruce replacing Cullen. Moyola improved in the second half when they changed to a 4-4-2 formation and had three early chances with McFadden seeing his shot in the 53rd minute tipped over by Morgan. A minute later Monaghan saw his free kick knocked out for a corner by Morgan and 2 minutes later a great cross from Stewart on the left was tipped over as it seem to be drifting in at the back post.

The visitors made a second change in the 65th minute when Noonan replaced McGerrigan. As the home side pushed for a goal a long ball through the middle found Bruce and he slotted the ball past Maguire. Moyola made a change in the 75th minute with Harkness replacing Pattison and a minute later the visitors made their final change with R Nesbitt replacing A Nesbitt. Armagh finished the scoring with 5 minutes left when a cross found Finlay and he headed past Maguire.

Moyola: Maguire, Lennox, Stewart, McQuillan, Kelly, McFadden, McIntyre, Pattison, McLean, Monaghan, Johnston. Subs: Lucas, Harkness, Moore.

Armagh City: Morgan, Metcalfe, Mcgerrigan, Finlay, Cochrane, Moore, Sheridan, Cullen, Cusack, A Nesbitt, Montgomery. Subs: Maxwell, R Nesbitt, Bruce, Kerr, Noonan.

Moyola’s next game is on Saturday 10th December when they make the short journey to the Mid Ulster Sports Arena to take on Killymoon Rangers in the JJB Sports Irish Cup, this game has a 2.00pm kick off.

Moyola U11s entertained Dungiven U11s at Mill Meadow, hoping to put a bad run of results behind them. It was not to be and despite a lot of hard work and effort they were beaten 4-0.

Dungiven got off to a great start when Moyola were caught napping and the Dungiven striker scored with a low shot. Moyola responded well and tried in vain to get back on level terms but were caught when a poor kick out resulted in Dungiven scoring a second. Just before half time a move involving Young, Diamond and Palframan resulted in a free kick which Clarke drilled in only to see his effort punched clear.

The second half got under way with Moyola making two changes Lewis Young and Joseph Henry replacing Peter Evans and Odhran Lee. There were chances at both ends but unfortunately Moyola could not take theirs and Dungiven scored two more to leave the final score 4-0.

Team: Daire McErlain, Matthew Mangion, Jamie Clarke, Ryan Rafferty, Paedar Diamond, Liam Young, Christopher Gordon, Shane McGroggan, Dara Palframan, Peter Evans, Odran Lee. Subs Lewis Young and Joseph Henry.

Moyola under 11’s are away on Friday night to Larne U11’s in the first round of the NIBFA Cup with a 7.45pm kick off.

After an indifferent start to the season Moyola Park Under 17s have slowly been finding the form that saw this team do so well last year when they lifted the League and reached the Cup final.

A home defeat to Saturday’s opponents on the opening day of the season along with losses against Ballymoor and Glebeside meant Moyola had given themselves something of a mountain to climb if they are to contest for League honours this year.

On Saturday the 17s travelled to Ballymoney to play their under 17’s who were sitting confidently at the top of the table. A good opening 10 minutes saw both teams test each other without actually troubling the goal-keepers. Ballymoney were dangerous at set-pieces and indeed opened the scoring after 15 minutes with a headed goal from a free kick wide on the left. Moyla responded well and only five minutes later a corner from Padraig Martin saw the ball deflect off a home player to leave the score 1 – 1.

Moyola’s confidence grew and minutes later Aidan Keenan scored a marvellous goal with a thundering shot from some way out. With only ten minutes of the first half remaining a fine effort from Kyle Colgan fell to Paudy Martin who tapped in from close range. Moyola went in 3-1 to the good at hal-time.

 In the second half Ballymoney began very strongly to find a way back into the game. They were met with a very resolute Moyola defence however, with goal-keeper Conor Doherty having an excellent game, marshalling the players in front of him. 

Kyle McElhatton came off the bench for Moyola and almost made it four for the visitors only to see his shot cannon off a post. The match finished 3-1 in Moyola’s favour, and those three points could prove vital at the end of the season as Moyola continue their “fight-back”. Moyola were without a couple of players due to short term injuries and look forward to welcoming back their Captain Rory Young, who hopefully will be back playing in the new year.

Moyola U17s: Conor Doherty, Danny Devlin, Nathan Swann, Tomas McLaughlin, Paddy Young, Padraig Martin, Aidan Keenan, Johnny Downey, Barry Murphy, Paul McQuillan, Kyle Colgan, Marty Crozier, Daniel McCormick, Kyle McElhatton, Rhys Taylor.

Moyola Under 17s next game takes place this Saturday with a game in the Northern Ireland Boy’s Cup against Crumlin United, in the Mill Meadow, Castledawson with an 11.00am kick off.