Oz-bound Campbell’s four goal parting gift to Coagh

Coagh United’s Aaron Campbell gave his side a four goal parting gift on his last match before his move to Australia.

The Coagh striker came up with the goods as Coagh overwhelmed Dundela at the Hen Run. His first was a poacher’s goal after two minutes. Steven Park opened up the home defence with a slide rule pass to Scott McGeown. McGeown’s cross was headed goal bound by Jason Gillespie but a parried save and a scramble in the box finally saw Campbell roll the ball over the line.

Shocked Dundela stormed the Coagh goal but could find no way past the solid back four and when they did Johnny Yorke was there to pick up the pieces.

On the break Coagh again punished the Duns defence. Aaron Campbell broke clear from a Steven Lamont pass only to be tumbled over by Owens and he got a straight red for his efforts. Scott McCordick converted off the post to put Coagh in the driving seat.

Coagh again came under severe pressure with Ben Roy and Mark McClelland bringing the best out of Johnny Yorke. On twenty seven minutes the alert Aaron Campbell made it three for Coagh. Terrible defending from the home side and another fumble from the goalkeeper allowed Campbell to pick up the loose ball and roll it into an empty net.

For the next ten Coagh had to defend in numbers as the Duns looked to get back into the match but as they pushed up the field too far Campbell caught them on the break to fire home his hat trick and Coagh’s fourth before the break. It was one-way traffic from Dundela as they pounded the Coagh goal but were again frustrated by a stubborn Coagh back four.

On the break Coagh played some attractive football with Lamont, Park and all unlucky. The home side made two changes and threw everything at Coagh but were caught again by another sweeping move from a very confident Coagh side.

Dundela had just seen two half hearted penalty claims turned down and as they remonstrated with the official Coagh broke with Park running clear. In the box stopper Hughes tumbled the Coagh player but Aaron Campbell was on hand to pick up the loose ball and score his fourth of the match. This goal gave the referee a dilemma - would he give the penalty and send Hughes off but instead he allowed the goal to stand and gave Paul Hughes a booking for his tackle.

Five up, Coagh went into cruise control and kept the home side running with some inventive passing.

This win lifts Coagh two places on goal difference but it’s still very tight in the bottom half of the table. Coagh’s main problem now is they have no matches for the next three weeks before they travel to play winners elect Ards. After that its home to Institute before two six pointers, home to Bangor and away to Larne. In-between that Coagh hope to fit in the long awaited away match to Carrick.

Coagh would like to wish striker Aaron Campbell every success on his move to Australia. His four goal strike against Dundela has certainly put his price tag up as he looks for his new club Down Under!

Dundela: Paul Hughes, Scott Collins, Ross Davison, William Faulkner (c), Kyle Owens, Stephen Gourley, David Hume, Kyle Cherry, Stephen McCain, Mark McClelland, Ben Roy. Subs: Jonathan Gilliland, Jamie Jackson, David Wright, Gary Irwin,

Coagh United: J. York, S. McGeown, J. Ferguson, D. Calderwood, A. Thornton, S. Park, S. McCordick, (M. Taylor 80), J. Gillespie, S. Lamont, M. Kempton

Referee: Mr E. Boyce, Ballygowen