Rangers edged out by PSNI

SHOT... Killymoon's Mark Loughrin fires a shot at goal during last Saturday's league clash with the PSNI at MUSA.INMM4012-413SR
SHOT... Killymoon's Mark Loughrin fires a shot at goal during last Saturday's league clash with the PSNI at MUSA.INMM4012-413SR

Killymoon Rangers 1


KILLYMOON Rangers were beaten 2-1 at home on Saturday by the PSNI with Warren Smith on target for Killymoon in the second half.

Killymoon were the better team in the opening 20 minutes before falling behind then rallying in the second half.

In the opening minutes of the match Killymoon had two half chances from throw-ins which failed to trouble Keith Wilson in the PSNI goal.

Mark Loughran had a shot wide from the edge of the box, Johnny Young then ran at the Police defence before shooting wide and Johnny then put a shot over the bar at the back post following another throw.

Killymoon had a goal disallowed on ten minutes. Johnny Young got on the end of Mark Loughran’s shot to steer the ball home but Chris Morrow raised his flag and referee Paddy McFadden ruled the goal out for offside.

Robbie Knox caused problems for the home defence before the ball was finally cleared. Johnny Young took a free-kick for the home team and his shot went over the bar.

On 19 minutes Mark Picking took a free-kick for the police which the home defence cleared and Kieran Laughran’s follow up shot went wide.

Barrie Kelly had a throw-in and a shot both saved by Wilson before the Police took the lead on 27 minutes, Peter Steele scoring from a Mark Picking cross from the right.

Peter Steele then tested Gareth McElhatton in the Killymoon goal after a run atthe home defence.

PSNI made it 2-0 on 36 minutes. A free-kick was headed back across goal and Robbie Knox got enough on the ball to claim the goal.

Barrie Kelly put Roma in on goal as Rangbers tried to hit back instantly but the defence managed to clear the ball for a throw.

Roger Greer then had a shot cleared off the line and Graeme Arthur headed over from a corner just before half-time.

Killymoon almost pulled a goal back in the opening minute of the second half, Roger Greer unable to convert Barrie Kelly’s cross at the back post.

Graeme Arthur tested Gareth McElhatton in the Killymoon goal, on target with a free-kick.

Johnny Young’s run at the Police defence wasstopped with a hand ball from the defender then Barrie Kelly saw his shot saved from 30 yards out.

On the hour mark Killymoon brought on Warren Smith for Mark Loughran up front.

Barrie Kelly had a shot wide after being set up by Gerard Moore following a surging run from deep by joint manager Davy McMullan.

A PSNI back-header fell to Warren Smith who was unable to take the chanc having only just entered the match.

Keith Wilson then produced a good save to keep a goalbound shot from Johnny Young from 20 yards out.

Simon Kerr replaced Roma with 15 minutes to go.

The Police had a half chance on 75 minutes before Killymoon pulled a goal back on 78 minutes.

A Barrie Kelly throw was headed on by Stephen Purvis and Warren Smith finished the move off almost on the line.

Simon Kerr then ran at the Police defence before shooting over as Killymoon went in search of an equaliser. Davy McMullan had a header wide from a throw-in, but Killymoon werealmost caught out at the back with five minutes to go as they pushed men forward and the Police broke at pace.

Simon Kerr and Declan Campbell both had shots for Killymoon in the dying minutes of the match but to no avail as PSNI ran out 2-1 winners.

The match was kindly sponsored by Time Bar + Venue.

Killymoon Rangers have no game next Saturday, 6th October, as it is the 3rd round of the Bob Radcliffe Cup. On Saturday 13th October Killymoon travel to play Chimney Corner in Antrim.

Killymoon Rangers reserves travel to play 3rd Ballyclare Old Boys on Saturday.