Rangers suffer heavy defeat at Portstewart

Portstewart 4

Killymoon Rangers 1

THERE is an age old saying in football. “If you don’t take your chances, you don’t win games.” This saying summed up Killymoon’s disappointing defeat to Portstewart at Mullaghacall Park on Saturday afternoon.

Moon returned from the North Coast, bewildered how they had not left with at least a point.

There were chances galore in the early stages as Kelly, Brown and Young all saw efforts on goal fail to beat the Port goalkeeper.

When they finally beat the goalkeeper via Purvis header, Portstewart had men in place at the right time to clear the danger. Killymoon almost broke the deadlock with only minutes before the interval when Kelly saw his cross diverted towards the home sides goal. Madison was forced to pull off a stunning save to keep the scores level at the break.

Finally, the away team scored after the half time team talk. Montgomery saw his teasing cross turned into the goal by a home defender following pressure from Stewart. Shortly, after Killymoon should have increased the lead, Montgomery was unable to apply the finishing touches to a Kelly cross.

However, all of those missed opportunities were to come back to haunt the away side.

Porstewart equalised soon after the Moon took the lead. A clever free kick gave the Seasiders the lead and worse was soon to follow for Killymoon.

On 65 minutes the game was over when a Portstewart forward found his way behind the Killymoon defence and slid the ball past Brown. 3-1.

With three minutes remaining the home side wrapped up the points with a fourth goal, following an error in the Killymoon defence.

Full Time. Portstewart 4 Killymoon Rangers 1.

Killymoon Rangers; M Brown, C Kilpatrick, S Purvis, D McMullan, S McElhatton, G McGaw, W Montgomery, J Young, C Stewart, K Kelly, D Shannon, subs; M Hagan, J Ferry, J Scott.

An under-strength Killymoon side made the trip to Larne and conceded within five seconds of the whistle. A lapse of concentration from Chesney saw the oncoming forward steal the ball and slot home. 1-0.

Killymoon could not find any rhythm during the game, with passes going astray and very few goalscoring opportunities. The Reserves started the second half in a much more lively fashion and chances fell to Doyle and Chesney but the Larne keeper pulled off some great saves. Larne were happy to play on the break and in the last five minutes they grabbed two breakaway goals to leave the final score 3-0.

Killymoon Rangers face local rivals Moyola Park in the JJB Irish Cup this Saturday. Kick off at the Sports Arena is 2pm.

The Reserves also face a local derby when they face Tobermore at Beechway. Kick off is 2pm.

Killymoon Rangers club scarves are available from the secretary. The club would also like as many old boys as possible to attend the 40th reunion which takes place on Saturday 4th February in the Royal Hotel.

The club would like to congratulate Robert Rainey from the Magherafelt Sky Blues on his recent award.