Six goal thriller at Hagan Park

editorial image

Coagh United 3

Dundela 3

A LAST minute equaliser for Dundela brought to an end a stunning game of football at Hagan Park. It was a big blow for Coagh to concede with the final whistle approaching but they live to fight another day.

This exciting six goal encounter was a great advertisement for the local game with both sides playing their part in this IFA Championship 2 tussle.

Coagh travelled to PSNI on Tuesday evening and victory over the Police would have left four points between themselves and third placed Dundela.

The opening stages were very scrappy as neither side could really get their foot on the ball and play.

With only seven minutes on the clock, the East Belfast outfit grabbed the lead. A chipped ball through found its way into the path of Dundela centre forward who hammered past McKenzie for 1-0.

Coagh were struggling to find a way into tie and they were sloppy in possession.

However, against the run of play United grabbed themselves a lifeline. Aaron Campbell cut inside and was chopped down inside the box. Left back James Ferguson slammed the ball into the top left hand corner to level the scores.

Nonetheless all of their good work was undone by some sloppy defending on 35 minutes. McKenzie dashed out to claim a cross from a whipped in corner. He flapped at fresh air and the Dundela number 9 nodded into an empty goal.

Coagh management duo Mitchell and Uprichard had their work cut out in the changing rooms at half time. It was a sloppy performance from the homesters who were poor with possession and looked disjointed in midfield.

Whatever was said in the Coagh changing rooms at half time seemed to do the trick. The home side responded immediately as Aaron Campbell lashed home from distance to make it 2-2.

Moments later Coagh were ahead. The Dundela right back played Johnny Black onside and the pacey frontman shot under the keeper to put Coagh in front for the first time in the match.

Coagh were dominating proceedings and the switch from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 was paying off.

Dundela were lucky to not have their keeper sent off shortly after Black slammed home. Seargent raced out of his goal and clattered into Black out wide. From the resulting free kick Dundela cleared.

Former Fivemiletown United duo Jason Gillespie and Dale Noble entered the fray and should have grabbed a fourth. Noble did well to break down the right and Gillespie somehow scooped the ball over from the resulting cross. This was a major turning point in the tie.

Three minutes into injury time, Dundela scrambled home an equaliser to leave them going back up the road with a share of the spoils.

There was little time for either side to push for a fourth goal and it finished 3-3.

Coagh United would like to pass on their best wishes to club PRO man Errol Hassin, who is in hospital at the moment. All of the Coagh committee, players and supporters would like to wish Errol a speedy recovery and hope to see him back in the Press box sooner rather than later.