Sky Blues miss out against league leaders

Magherafelt Sky Blues 0 Newbuildings 3

It was a tough afternoon for Magherafelt Sky Blues as they were well beaten by table toppers Newbuildings in a 3-0 defeat at Spires Park.

Chairman Glenn Robinson had described the clash as a must win if high flying Sky Blues were to stay in the hunt for the NI Intermediate title but it wasn’t to be as Newbuildings were just too strong on the day.

The Blues were not helped by the fact that many key first team players were absent mainly due to suspensions. The spark had gone from the side as the Blues lacked any real creativity which was needed to break down a tough Newbuildings backline.

It took 15 minutes for the league leaders to find the net when their full back made an impressive run and played a pass across the goal which made it easy for Newbuildings’ front man to simply tap the ball home. It would have been 2-0 just before half time only for Michael O’Neill’s heroic save to keep the Blues in the game going into the break.

That save counted for little though as the Blues were undone from a superb cross across the box which was headed on and eventfully bundled into the back of the net. Tireless Gregory Stewart came the closest for the home side as his shot bent just narrowly wide with around ten minutes to go.

Newbuildings killed the game off in injury time when the Blues were caught on the counter attack with their winger showing great composure to make it 3-0.

A disappointing result for the Blues and their goal is now is to just push up further in the league and aim for the highest finish possible.

Magherafelt Sky Blues Reserves 0

Ballymena Comrades Reserves 1

It was also a difficult afternoon for Magherafelt Sky Blues Reserves as they were edged out by Ballyclare Comrades Reserves 1-0 in the Ballymena Junior Division One.

The Reserves rode their luck in the first half as the Comrades created some good chances. Mark Carey was called upon to make a couple of vital saves to keep the scores level going into the break.

The Blues started the second half the brighter with some good football being played but they just couldn’t find the net. But it was Ballyclare who took the lead with around 55 minutes played when their sub made an instant impact to put the Comrades in front.

Once again the Blues came forward in search of an equaliser with Barros and Avril both going close but the Comrades held on to pick up the three points.

Glendowan U13 1

Magherafelt Skys Blues U13 0

The Magherafelt Sky Blues U13s lost out in a close encountered affair as they were beaten 3-1 with two late Glendowan goals in Belfast in the NIBFA National League.

It was a game that could have gone either way and the young Blues were made to pay for their missed chances. It was the Belfast side that took the lead in the second half when a cross wasn’t dealt with exposed the defence. Alex Hancock’s heroic one handed save kept the Blues in the game shortly after.

Ronan Young produced a bit of individual magic when he took on two men and slipped the ball under the keeper’s leg to level the scores. Manus McAllistair was unlucky not to put the Blues in front and Young was again looking dangerous as he just missed his chance to get a double.

Lively Ciaran McKeever had the best chance of all in the last minute but it wasn’t to be as the chance was missed and Glendowan broke on the counter attack and scored two goals deep into injury time to seal the victory.

Maiden City U12 2

Magherafelt Sky Blues U12 7

Magherafelt Sky Blues U12s really enjoyed their Saturday in what was a beautiful afternoon as they coasted past Maiden City in a 7-2 thrashing at the Eglington to pick up their sixth straight victory.

Doubles from Mark Larmour and Shea Curry, with Mark McGroggan, Stephen Greer and Padraig McGroggan also getting on the scoresheet ensured the victory for the young Blues.

The game started out as a close encounter with both teams going for it and City looked the more hungry for the ball in the first 20 minutes. It took that shake up for the visitors to get themselves more involved with the game and the young Blues really controlled the last ten minutes of the half. The teams went in at the break at 3-1 to the Blues.

The wind was in the Blues’ favour in the second half as they pinned City in their own half. This is when the Blues really took control of the game and only for the Maiden City’s young keeper, it could have been more. Some great movement and football was being played and the youngsters were clearly enjoying themselves.


The first team travel to Oxford United Stars next Monday whilst The Reserves host Tobermore reserves next Saturday, the 26th of March. The U11s travel to Maiden City on Friday 25th of March and then host Coleraine on Saturday 26th of March.


Mini-Soccer Centre - The club’s IFA approved Mini-Soccer Centre, sponsored by Ronan Valley, for Primary School aged players continues each Saturday from 10-11am at Spires Park.

Fundraising Event - The club will be running a ‘Thousand Pound Drop’ fundraising event on Friday 15th April in Bryson’s at 8.30pm. This event will also be followed by a disco and an evening of entertainment. Full details and tickets priced at £5 per person will be released this week.