Ten man Coagh win through on road

Coagh United are through to the Fifth Round of the Irish Cup - but at a cost.

The very harsh sending off of Marcus Dallas after five minutes means Coagh will have to do without the influential midfielder for a possible three matches. Referee Eddie Ferguson was quick to flash the straight red after Dallas and a Moyola player went in for a loose ball. There was no intent from either player from this simple tackle, but Ferguson saw it differently from everyone else and sent Dallas off for an early bath.

This decision leaves Coagh without their influential midfielder for the up and coming crucial derby matches against Tobermore and Loughgall before Christmas.

Coagh quickly regrouped from Dallas’ dismissal as the home side looked to take advantage with the extra man from the restart. Curtis Hassan ran clear from a McLean pass but Johnny Yorke made the save. The visitors’ Scott McCordick got a shot in at the other end and although Garth Maguire spilled it he recovered in time to make the save. This was probably Moyola’s best spell of the match as they forced two more corners.

Coagh’s defence, led by anchor man David Calderwood and sweeper Barry Anderson, controlled everything that came their way. It took time for Coagh to settle but when they did the chances started to flow. Glenn Clarke started to find space down the right with Scott McGeown and the two paired up to get Campbell in but the ball bobbled as he went to shoot and this chance went over the bar.

The 3G pitch was causing all sorts of problems for the Coagh forward as they struggled to control as McCordick, Gillespie and Clarke all missed in front of goal.

The home side looked dangerous on the break, Hassin went one to one with Johnny Yorke but the Coagh stopper won that battle.

James Ferguson came to Coagh’s rescue moments later from the same player as Moyola forced their third corner of the match. Coagh finally broke the dead lock with ten minutes to go. James Ferguson and Steven Park linked for predator Scott McCordick to score from a tight angle inside the six yard box. Coagh again closed up shop to the break with Moyola’s best chance coming from Michael McLean’s long range shot.

Both teams worked hard to get into the match in the second half. Ex-Coagh favourite, Moyola’s player-manager, Mervyn Pattison showed class to get danger man Hassan in but the silky winger shot wide.

Coagh’s Steven Park started to give a master class in passing from midfield setting up attack after attack but as in the first half the final touch in the final third let the visitors down.

Coagh’s Aaron Campbell limped off to be replaced by Aaron Thornton. Campbell only made a comeback last week in the Reserves after being on the treatment table and there was more worry for the Coagh Management when Jason Gillespie also limped off, this allowed Bill Lees to make his debut for the first team.

In control, Coagh finished the job off with another goal near the end. Twenty yards out, Scott McCordick curled the ball over the wall and with the Moyola keeper rooted to the spot the ball went into the top corner to put Coagh into the Fifth Round.

This Saturday Coagh will play Ballinamallard Res in a friendly at Hagan Park with a 12 noon start. In the afternoon Coagh Reserves will play Rathfriland Reserves in the League at Coagh Sports Centre with a 2.15pm kick off.

Moyola Park: Maguire, McQuillan, Kilpatrick, McFadden, McLean, Lucas, Kelly( Clarke), Kenning (Colgan) Pattison ( Speers), Doey, Hassan

Coagh United: Yorke, Calderwood, Ferguson, Anderson, McGeown, Park, Dallas, Clarke, McCordick, Gillespie (Lees), Campbell (Thornton), Neill, Kempton, Nelson GK

Referee team: Mr E Ferguson, Mr D Watt, Mr I South