Ten man Rangers come back for point

Lurgan Celtic 2 Killymoon Rangers 2

Less than a month since their 2 all draw in Cookstown, Killymoon Rangers travelled to Lurgan Celtic last Saturday in the Ladbrokes Championship 2.

The first half had a number of half chances for both sides, but it was the defences who were on top early on. The home side had four corners in the opening 15 minutes, but the Killymoon defence dealt comfortably with them. At the other end Andy Neill had the visitors’ first chance on 20 minutes when he headed over from close range following a David McMullan long throw.

Willie Montgomery then went close with a low shot just before another corner from Lurgan Celtic saw a header loop over the Killymoon crossbar. The home side had a couple of free kicks before the interval, but couldn’t trouble Michael Brown as the half ended with honours even.

Lurgan Celtic had a great opportunity within 2 minutes of the restart to take the lead when a quick break saw the Killymoon defence outnumbered three to two, but the Lurgan Celtic player failed to release the ball when in an excellent position and was driven wide and the danger was averted. This was a let off for Killymoon, but within 5 minutes the home side did open the scoring.

With the wind behind their backs the home side began to put a lot of high balls into the Killymoon penalty area and on 52 minutes Brown was unable to deal with a ball in his six yard area and only succeeded in pulling down a Lurgan Celtic forward and the referee had no option but to point to the spot. The penalty was confidently dispatched to put the home side in control.

The lead only lasted for 10 minutes as Killymoon got back on level terms when substitute Andy Cochrane scored his first goal for the club. A cross by Adrian Ferson into the Lurgan Celtic penalty box saw Cochrane bravely beat the home keeper to the ball and head into the net for the equaliser.

Just before 75 minutes the home side were presented with another penalty when a ball was played into the Killymoon penalty area to a Lurgan Celtic player who looked to be in an off-side position, but the assistant referee kept his flag down. Before the player could shoot he was fouled by Stephen McElhatton resulting in his sending off and Lurgan Celtic penalty that was duly dispatched.

Down to 10 men Killymoon had to take chances as they searched for the equaliser and it took a good save from Brown to keep his side in the game. The home side had a number of chances to wrap up the points but they were made to pay for their missed chances when Killymoon’s effort was rewarded in the 88th minute. Ferson played the ball down the right wing to substitute Willie Watson, who despite being marked by 2 defenders was able to lay the ball off to Cochrane. The scorer of the first goal then chipped the ball into the Lurgan Celtic penalty area where Warren Smith ghosted in between two defenders to power a header into the corner of the net to clinch a share of the points for his side.

Killymoon: M Brown, A Ferson, C Kilpatrick, S McElhatton, S Purvis (W Watson), S Glasgow, W Montgomery (A Cochrane), A Neill, J Young (J Ferguson), W Smith, D McMullan

Manager Gary Brown was delighted by the never-say-die attitude of his players and the performance of substitute Andy Cochrane who came off the bench to score a goal and set up the equaliser in only his second appearance for the club. Killymoon entertain Armagh City at the Sports Arena this Saturday, kick-off 3pm. The previous meeting this season saw Armagh grab a late equaliser from the penalty spot when it looked as if Killymoon had grabbed all 3 points. With both sides battling for points at the bottom end of the table it promises to be an entertaining game with little between the teams.

Phil Gray took his Reserve side to Carrickfergus last Saturday in the Canada Cup against Red Star and came home with an excellent 7-1 victory. With a couple of senior players missing Gray was able to give a number of players signed from Cookstown Youth their debuts and they didn’t let their manager down with J Cohen even managing to get on the score sheet. S Dobson hit four with C Martin and an own goal completing the scoring. The Reserves have no game this weekend.


There will be plenty of ‘bluffing’ going on at the Royal Hotel on Saturday 16th April when the good, the bad and the occasional player go head-to-head in the Poker Classic. Even if you don’t know the rules of ‘Texas Hold-em’ why not come along and try your ‘hand’ at the game that has the nation hooked.


Club scarves will be on sale this Saturday at the game against Armagh City, price £8. They can also be purchased by contacting Mark on 07876394670.