Tobermore’s ‘bruising’ victory

Sky Blues 0

Tobermore Utd 2

TWO goals inside the first 10 minutes settled this derby cup tie at Meadowbank and sends Tobermore into a semi final clash against Dungiven on November 3.

The Blues were slow to start and Neil Lamont almost put the visitors ahead in the second minute bringing a good save out of the home keeper but he could do nothing to stop a Danny Gardner pile driver in the 4th minute to put the Reds 1 up. Five minutes later Lamont was given too much room inside the box and he punished the hosts with a good finish.

A horrible clash of heads between Tobermore’s keeper Willie Hassan and Blues forward Oran Sexton left both players on the ground with bloody head wounds. The game was held up for a full 5 minutes whilst their wounds were tended but both had to go to hospital for further treatment. Ryan Doherty replaced Hassan in goals but the incident seemed to have an effect on both sets of players and the half fizzled out.

Tobermore never really looked like surrendering their lead in a lively second half with sub keeper Doherty rarely called into action but near the end as the Blues piled on some late pressure he got his hand to a close range shot and the Blues had a big call that the follow up had crossed the line but the referee waved their appeals away but honest spectators later confirmed that the ball was well over the line.

It was later learned that Sexton had seven stitches inserted and Hassan had nine, so we wish both players a speedy recovery.

Tobermore United Reserves 2

Magherafelt Sky Blues Reserves 0

Tobermore United reserves continued their impressive start to the season with a hard fought 2 nil win over local rivals Magherafelt Sky Blues Reserves to make it five wins from five games in the Ballymena & Provincial League, only conceding once in those five games.

Tobermore started the game at a blistering pace with Stephen Cochrane opening the scoring after only 4 minutes. Tobermore continued to dominate the first half with Andrew Drennan scoring the all important second goal shortly before the interval.

As expected, the Sky Blues improved in the second half but were unable to break down the resilient Tobermore defence, though the defence have to thank goalkeeper Mark Hassan for saving a late Sky Blues penalty to keep the clean sheet.

Next fixture, Saturday, October 13, Tobermore United Reserves v Mallusk Athletic, Fortwilliam Park, 2pm kick-off.