Tobermore United see off determined Queen’s University

Tobermore Utd's Paul Keane breaks up a PSNI attack during Saturday's league encounter at Fortwilliam Park.INMM1016-389
Tobermore Utd's Paul Keane breaks up a PSNI attack during Saturday's league encounter at Fortwilliam Park.INMM1016-389

Tobermore United welcomed Queen’s University to Fortwilliam Park on Saturday for another league clash.

This was the third time the teams have met with Tobermore coming out on top on the previous two encounters.

Before the game kicked off there was a minutes silence for Chairman Raymond Beatty’s father ‘Charlie’ who sadly passed away earlier that morning. On behalf of our club committee, members, players and management, we wish to express our deepest condolences to Raymond and the Beatty family.

Tobermore were the first to threaten and it was centre half Conor Kearns that rose well to meet a free kick in the 7th minute but his effort was high and wide of the target.

Tobermore were dangerous on the break and it was Ryan Winton that turned the full back inside out before being fouled a yard outside the box. The Students dealt with the resultant free kick and it was cleared for a corner. However, Winton was causing all sorts of bother and with 19 minutes gone he got in behind the Students’ defence. The keeper charged out but Winton’s quick feet resulted in a foul and straight red card. Kearns took the free kick but his effort was blocked by the wall.

Winton was again getting joy down the left side but his cross was cleared again by the Queens defence at the cost of a corner. The corner somehow fell to the feet of the hard working Trevor Parkhill and his shot found the back of the net in the 27th minute.

Within five minutes of the restart Paul Keane rose unmarked in the box to meet the in swinging Marks corner but the effort was wide of the target.

Winton’s excellent through ball found Duffin on 57 minutes who skipped past the outstretched keeper but his goal bound effort was cleared off the line by the Queens defender. Tobermore were in again as they searched for that important second when Parkhill capitalised on a mistake by the Queens keeper. His shot was somehow saved as the keeper recovered but he should have done better with his second attempted lob which drifted over the bar.

1-0 is always a dangerous lead and with 15 minutes to play Queens was still battling and applying pressure on the home defence. Two corners in a short space of time were cleared by Murray and Kearns.

Queens were pushing for that equaliser and at times looked like they were a man up as they committed men forward but the hard working Devine and Marks were helping out their defence and clearing up.

Conor Deane was introduced for Winton with a few minutes left with Boss Adrian Whiteside seeing the threat of Queens getting closer to McGraw’s goal. Queens will be wondering how they didn’t equalise in the 92nd minute when their goal bound effort was cleared of the line by the excellent Paul Keane.

Tobermore United: M. McGraw, N. Murray, M, Harkness, P. Keane, C. Kearns R. Devine, R. Marks, D. Stewart, R. Winton T. Parkhill S. Lamont. Subs: R. Twist, C. Deane, M. Curtis, S. Glasgow, P. Duffin

This weekend will see Tobermore take on Moyola Park at home at 3pm. On Tuesday night, March 29th, at 6pm they face Sport & Leisure Swifts at Fortwilliam Park.

Tobermore’s popular Mini Soccer sessions continue this Saturday morning.

As usual the fun sessions begin at 10am sharp (registration at 9.45am) until 11am in Maghera Leisure Centre and is open to all boys and girls of primary school age.

Players should turn up kitted out ready to play indoors with trainers and shin guards.

If you have any questions or need more information please contact Sean on 0793 491 7309 or