Tough day for Coalisland on the road

Gilford 2 Coalisland Athletic 0

Coalisland travelled to Gilford in the league and came away disappointed.

From the off Coalisland had Gilford on the back foot but couldn’t get their shots on target. With 15 minutes away Colm Doris ran towards goal and shot only for the ball to come off the post and rebound out. Gilford kicked a long ball up field which caught Coalisland out. The ball was fired across the box with the forward sliding in to push the ball over the line.

Coalisland again had chances but their finishing was letting them down. With 35 minutes away Gilford got their second when a ball was fired across Coalisland’s box. O’Neill, in Coalisland’s goal, reached outside the box and caught the ball. The ref awarded a free which was shot towards Coalisland’s goal. Instead of catching it or punching it away O’Neill tried to head it clear but mistimed it and it ended up in the net.This knocked Coalisland for six and they began to rush their passes and gave possession away to easily.

Coalisland tried to get back on terms but again their final passes left a lot to be desired as they couldn’t put two passes together.

With time running out Coalisland thought they had scored as the ball crossed the line, but Gilford’s defender cleared and the ref let play go on. Coalisland surrounded the ref and said it was well over but as he hadn’t kept up with play and ruled that it hadn’t crossed the line.

This made Coalisland more determined and again pushed forward through Conor Laverty. His run towards goal was stopped by two bad tackles in the box. For a second time the ref waved play on.

The game came to an end with Coalisland unlucky not to come away with a point .

This week they are at home to Banbridge Rangers from Intermediate A in the Marshall Cup. If they are to get something out of this game they will have to up their work rate.

Coalisland Reserves were at home to Moneyslane and were two down after 25 minutes as they failed to mark up with a change of positions from the management.

The second half looked brighter as Gerry Sweeney pulled a goal back within minutes. He scored again to level the game .

Coalisland had their tails up. With 15 minutes left they took the lead when Niall O’Neill found the net.

With minutes remaining Coalisland got their fourth when O’Neill found the net.

This was a great win for the reserves as it puts them on top of Division Three