Tyrone County Leagues GAA round up

Clonoe 3-14 Kildress 0-10

Friday, 20th April 2012, 3:22 pm

KILDRESS Wolfe Tones found Clonoe’s Connor McAliskey too hard to handle as they suffered a losing return to Division one. McAliskey finished the game with 3-5 to his credit, with all but one score from play, as the 2009 County champions sent out an early warning sign that they mean business this year. McAliskey started the scoring before Kildress took the lead for the first and last time through two Des Tracey frees.

Connor McAliskey provided the turning point as he blasted to the net on the 12th minute and after that Kildress could do nothing to stop the Rahilly’s as they added points from Stephen McNulty, Colm Doris and Paul Coney to lead by seven at half time. Kildress started the second half brightly through Points from Phillip Lennon and Damien Kelly but any chances of a comeback were dashed, when after points from McNulty and Patrick Doris, McAliskey hit the net twice within the minute for his hat trick, to leave the result beyond doubt.

Shane O’Hagan and Kelly exchanged points for their sides before Connor McAleer added for KIldress. Eamon Hughes hit the game’s final score for the winners, leaving them with thirteen points to spare.

Clonoe scorers – Connor McAliskey 3-5, Eamon Hughes 0-2, Stephen McNulty 0-2, Colm Doris 0-1, Dwayne Quinn 0-1, Paul Coney 0-1, Patrick Doris 0-1, Shane O’Hagan 0-1

Kildress scorers- Des Tracey 0-4, Damien Kelly 0-3, Phillip Lennon 0-1, Connor McAleer 0-1, Gabhan Tracey

Moortown 2-5 Trillick 0-5

Moortown will be delighted with their opening day win, as they set out stall for the year, without their ex free taker, Mick Hagan, who will be plying his trade at the other side of the Loughshore, for parish rivals Ardboe.

The Malachy’s showing no signs of weakness, couldn’t have asked for a better start to the game as Daniel Quinn hit the net in the third minute and on the tenth minute Connor Herron followed suit to give their side a lead they would never surrender. Big Anthony Quinn, son of Bernadette provided a point for Moortown, with Phillip McGrade providing three for Trillick in their disappointing opening half.

Trillick’s Shane Gormley and Stephen O’Donnell pulled a couple back for their side, but thereafter they failed to score again, as Brian McClarnon, Ronan Devlin and Karl Hagan closed out the win for the Malachy’s.

Moortown scorers- Connor Herron 1-1, Daniel Quinn 1-0, Tony Quinn 0-1, Brian McClarnon 0-1, Ronan Devlin 0-1, Karl Hagan 0-1

Trillick scorers- Phillip McGrade 0-3, Shane Gormley 0-1, Stephen O’Donnell 0-1

Ardboe enjoyed a winning start to their 2012 campaign as they defeated Greencastle by two points at Michael Coney Park on Sunday afternoon. The home side had to work extremely hard for the win and had it not been for Greencastle’s disappointing return in front of the posts, kicking no fewer than seven wides in the first half, they could have ended up victorious.

Ardboe provided the opening three scores courtesy of Brian McGuigan, Mattie Bell and Kyle Coney. Martin Conway eventually opened his sides account after some dreadful attempts at the Ardboe posts. Coney added a free for his side, before Mick Hagan kicked his first score, on his debut, to leave his new side, with a two point half time advantage. Ten minutes into the second half and Greencastle made it all square with points from Coyle and Conway but they just couldn’t muster that score to get them in front.

Hagan, Coney, Tommy McGuigan and second half substitute Ryan Quinn all kicked Ardboe points, with Shane Coyle kicking his fifth of the afternoon but it wasn’t enough to save his side an early defeat.

Ardboe scorers- Kyle Coney 0-4, Michael Hagan 0-3, Brian McGuigan 0-1, Mattie Bell 0-1,Tommy McGuigan 0-1, Ryan Quinn 0-1

Greencastle scorers- Shane Coyle 0-5, Martin Conway 0-2, Emmet Clarke 0-1, Kevin Ferrity 0-1

Elsewhere in Division one Coalisland had four points to spare on their travels to Omagh, thanks to goals from Eoghan Carberry and Paddy McNiece. Edendork also enjoyed a winning start on their return to the top flight, as they recorded a comfortable, 1-11 to 0-9, home win over Killyclogher with Brian McGuckin scoring the games only goal.

Carrickmore substitute Barry Daly scored a late equalising goal for his side, as they ended up somehow honours even with Errigal Ciaran on a scoreline of 2-8 to 1-11.

Peter Harte continued his recent fever for goals as he helped establish a six point lead for his side. Mark Donnelly managed to score a goal just before the break for Carmen to keep them within touching distance. Both sides finished with fourteen men has both sides seen players dismissed for Red card offences. Errigal had looked destined to win deep into injury time but up popped Daly to palm to the back of Errigal’s net to rescue a point for the home side.

All County League Division Two

Cookstown entertained Eskra in their opening league game on their return to Division two and up until the final ten minutes this game hung in the balance and only for Eskra’s poor return in front of goal this game could have had a different ending but it was all Cookstown in last quarter as they registered 2:3, all coming from play.

A ‘45’ from Danny McElhatton got the hosts of the mark, followed up by a fine individual fisted effort from Cookstown midfielder Connor O’Hare. Eskra’s Connor O’Hagan opened their scoring with a free, before Owen Mulligan opened his club account for 2012 with a point. Eskra corner back Mattie Turbeet charged up field to score for his side with McEllhatton then adding a free for his side from almost fifty yards. Joe McCarroll scored Eskra’s final point of the half to leave the minimum between the sides at half time.

The first ten minutes of the second half Eskra had plenty of chances to take over but with a host of chances dropped short or wide they didn’t take full advantage. The superb Shea McGarrity playing at half back opened the second half scoring in the thirteenth minute before John Gilmore got on the end of a loose ball to fire to the back of Eskra’s net. McCaroll pulled one back for his side but they could do nothing to stop Cookstown from picking up the two points on offer.

McEllhatton and McGarrity added further scores for the home team before McGarrity unleashed a rocket of a shot in past the hapless Daire McCaroll in the Eskra goal to put his side nine clear. The last two scores of the contest came from substitutes of both teams as Joe Marlow added to Eskra’s tally before Marty McVey finished the scoring for the Fr. Rocks ensuring they enjoyed a winning return to life in Division two.

Final score 2:08 to 0:05

Cookstown: Shea McGarrity 1:2, Danny McEllhatton 0:3 (2 frees) John Gilmore 1:0, Owen Mulligan 0:1, Connor O’Hare 0:1 Marty McVey 0:1

Eskra: Joe McCaroll 0:2 Connor O’Hagan 0:1 Joe Marlow 0:1 Mattie Turbett 0:1

Pomeroy will have raised a few eyebrows after their opening day win on their travels to Galbally. The visitors fully deserved their five point win in the end and will be grateful to Stephen McKenna, who popped up to score his sides two goals and also added a point to his finishing tally.

Galbally will point to the first half dismissal of Aidan Carberry, for his second yellow card, as the turning point in their opening day’s misfortunes. Pomeroy had established a four point lead at the half way mark, with Just McCaffery, John Loughran and Ollie McCreesh who finished the game with 0:5 to his credit, amongst their scorers. Galbally stayed in touch through Michael Murphy and Paul Rafferty to leave it 0:7 to 0:3 at half time.

Pomeroy struck for their first goal in the eighth minute of the second half and in fairness to Galbally they kept tagging away, reducing the deficit to one a couple of times, with points from Mickey Murphy, Declan Murphy and Ryan McGurk, with Pomeroy’s points coming from Ollie McCreesh, Kieran McGeary and McKenna. Galbally kept pressing for that equalising score but McKenna then grabbed his sides second major and from there on, it was always going to be a struggle for the fourteen men of Galbally, but they kept plugging away and although they had late’ scores from Rafferty and Neil Hagan, it was McKenna’s two goals the difference on the day between the two sides.

2:12 to 0:13

Galbally: Mickey Murphy 0:4 Paul Rafferty 0:3 Ryan McGurk 0:3 Neil Hagan 0:1 Declan Murphy 0:1 Sean Murphy 0:1

Pomeroy: Steven McKenna 2:1 Ollie McCreesh 0:5 Justin McCaffery 0:3 Kieran McGeary 0:1 John Loughran 0:1 Brendan Burns 0:1

Rock can be thankful they had the youngest McCressh sibling on board for their long trek to Strabane as he accounted for eight of their scores, with his only one from play, coming deep into injury time to give his side the share of the two points on offer.

Diarmuid Carroll opened the scoring for the visitors, as the sides traded the opening six points between them with Connor McCreesh adding two frees for the Rock. Michael Etherson then scored a goal for the home side and they pushed on, kicking the next three points, to open up a four point lead at the interval. Rock’s job wasn’t made any easier when they had Adian McGarrity dismissed early in the second half for his second yellow card and with Fergal McGavigan and Etherson tagging on points for Strabane it looked like they were destined for victory. Martin McCreesh and Carroll pulled scores back, before McGavigan got another for Strabane, leaving them three clear with minutes left on the clock.

Niall Mullan got forward to score and when the youngest McCreesh added a free, it left the minimum between the sides and with the Referee deeming enough time left for another attack, it was left to that man McCreesh to save his sides blushes on the opening day of the league, as he kicked a fine equaliser for his first from play.

1:9 to 0:12

Rock: Connor McCreesh 0:8 Diarmuid Carroll 0:2 Niall Mullan 0:1 Martin McCreesh 0:1

Stewartstown Harps got their season off to winning ways, when they had three points to spare over home side Killeeshil at Kennedy Park on Saturday afternoon.

Stewartstown opened the scoring through Peter Armour free in the fifth minute before sharpshooter Gareth Devlin opened his account from play. An unusual mix up in the Harps defence gifted Killeeshil’s Ciaran O’Neill an eight minute goal and almost immediately Stewartstown’s Owen Coyle was then up ended in the small square on the tenth minute and Devlin made no mistake from the resultant spot kick to put his side back in front.

Devlin then added another two, to bring his first half tally to 1:3, with Shane Mallon responding with a brace of frees for the home side. Peter Armour put four between the sides again before Killeeshil hit back in the final three minutes of the half with scores from play from Aaron McKenna, Gary Reilly and again Mallon to leave the minimum between the sides at the short whistle. Killeeshil started the second half as they finished the first with Mallon scoring the opening three scores of the half to give his side the lead heading into the last quarter.

Armour responded for the Harps in the sixteenth minute, before Mallon give Killeeshil a three point cushion with under thirteen minutes to play with two points from placed ball.

Stewartstown weren’t to be denied though, having dominated the most of the game, failing to turn possession into scores until the last ten minutes when they kicked six unanswered scores, with influential substitute Dan Lowe contributing two, along with braces apiece for Devlin and the hardworking James Kelly, ensuring the points for the visiting Harp’s.

1:12 to 1:09

Stewartstown: Gareth Devlin 1:5, Peter Armour 0:03, (2 frees) Dan Lowe 0:02, James Kelly 0:02

Killeeshil: Shane Mallon 0:06 (4 frees) Ciaran O’Neill 1:0 Gary Reilly 0:01 Aaron McKenna 0:01