Veteran Creighton leads the way

Banbridge Rangers 1 Coagh United Res 5

COAGH travelled to Banbridge knowing they had to win to keep in the race for league honours and started in determined mood putting the home side on the back foot for long periods. On 12 mins a cross from a cleared Matty Kempton corner was headed wide by Andy Neil,

Coagh should have taken the lead 3 mins later, good work down the right led to a teasing cross from Timmy Graham which eluded everyone before hitting the back post and bouncing to safety. Hal way through the half a through ball from Clive Campbell released Taylor and his cross was headed over by Neil.

Coagh’s pressure finally paid off on 27 mins Alex Lees at left back fed Kempton who picked out leading goal scorer Andrew Creighton and the veteran showed class in the turn to head past the keeper from 12 yards. Coagh continued to play good attacking football and doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when the veteran headed his second of the match..

The second half started as the first finished, Coagh added the third on 50 mins, a chipped through ball from Neil was turned in from 8 yards by Kempton. Banbridge tried in vain but the Coagh defence were solid and the midfield three of Forrest, Neil and Campbell were working hard.

The best move came on 52 mins; a forward ball was laid off by Creighton for Kempton who crossed to the back post where Taylor in turn laid the ball off for Campbell whose shot from the edge of the box hit the post. On 62mins the first changes were made, Jonny Johnson for the tiring Creighton and Ally McGuckin for Andrew Neil. Grahame McKenzie in the Coagh goal was rarely called on apart from the odd long range effort. On 73 mins David Harkness replaced Taylor. With 12 mins left on the clock Banbridge scored their consolation, a well struck free kick from 25yds left McKenzie no chance 3-1. Coagh had the perfect reply a minute later, a brilliant piece of individual play saw Harkness lose his man just inside the Banbridge half, he then took on another defender before firing across the keeper to make it 4-1 on 79 min. Coagh still weren’t finished and added number five in the dying seconds, Barry Anderson converting at the back post to cap a very good team performance.

With no game next week Coagh return to action on 31st March at home to Annagh in the Semi-Final of the Wilmor Johnson Cup at Coagh Sports Centre.