GAA: Edendork 1-13 Cookstown 2-07 Donnelly Vauxhall Intermediate Championship semi-final replay

Edendork made the most of a second chance at Healy Park on Friday, deservedly getting the better of Cookstown to set up an intermediate county final shoot-out with Urney.

Sunday, 27th September 2015, 6:54 pm
Edendork's Harry Og Conlon strikes the ball past Shea McGarrity. INTT4015-700DCA

The St.Malachys required two late points first day out to force a draw but after recovering from a slow start this time round they were a better side, although a late Cookstown goal set up a tense finish.

On the night the winners were best served by Tommy Lowe, Christopher McCurry, Niall Morgan, Paul Donaghy, Darren McCurry and Harry Og Conlon while Conor O’Hare, John Gilmore and Brian Mulligan were to the fore for the Fr Rocks.

James McGahan opened the scoring with a wonderful effort from out on the left wing before Morgan levelled matters.

Gilmore landed a couple of frees with teenager Donaghy responding for Edendork before wing half back Shea McGarrity sold a good dummy before splitting the posts for a 0-5 to 0-3 lead after sixteen minutes.

That proved to be Cookstown’s last score of the half, however, as the St.Malachys began to get on top. Conlon showed good strength to burst through to fist over the bar before Morgan weighed in with a brilliant equaliser with the outside of his boot from distance.

The final twelve minutes produced only one score with a McCurry free sending his side in 0-6 to 0-5 in front.

A Gilmore free levelled matters on the restart but almost immediately Edendork got their noses in front with a fine effort from Tyrone attacker McCurry.

Christopher Mc Curry gets one hand on the ball ahead of Cookstown's Marty Murray. INTT4015-701DCA

In the 7th minute the winners grabbed their goal when Conlon finished to the net at the second attempt after his initial shot had been saved.

Sixty seconds later the Fr Rocks replied in style when Gilmore caught a high ball before turning sharply and giving keeper Mark McReynolds no chance with a blistering shot to the back of the net.

Midfielder Christopher McCurry took a good score with the outside of his boot before a key moment in the game arrived when David Hughes didn’t release the ball to McGahan who was through and he was blown up for over carrying instead. A goal at that stage would have been crucial for Cookstown but instead Edendork put their foot on the gas. Donaghy pointed from play and that was followed by a 48m free off the ground from Morgan as they moved four clear going into the final quarter.

Gilmore kept Cookstown in touch from a long range free but Edendork were playing the better football with Conlon fisting a point and Darren McCurry firing over a peach from the left wing.

Edendork's Paul Donaghy shoots for a point from a wide angle. INTT4015-702DCA

With a minute to go a move the length of the field resulted in an O’Hare goal but Edendork weren’t to be denied with Morgan having the final say.

Edendork: Mark McReynolds, Padraig Donnelly, Tommy Lowe, Lorcan Conlon, Stephen Corr, Conor Mallon, Brian Og O’Rourke, Christopher McCurry, Conn Kilpatrick, Niall Morgan, Paul Donaghy, Sean Donnelly, Darren McCurry, Harry Og Conlon, Donal Maneely. Subs – Stephen Gervin for Donaghy, John McGuckin for O’Rourke

Scorers: Harry Og Conlon 1-2, Niall Morgan 0-4, Darren McCurry 0-3, Christopher McCurry 0-2, Paul Donaghy 0-2

Cookstown: Martin Rea, Matty Hughes, Conor O’Hare, Ruairi Mullan, Shea McGarrity, Paul McGurk, Martin Hughes, Ryan Pickering, Martin Murray, Barry Potter, James McGahan, David Hughes, Brian Mulligan, John Gilmore, Matthew Carberry. Subs – Danny McElhatton for Potter, Dylan Coyle for McGurk, Colm Bell for Matty Hughes, Christopher Eastwood for Carberry, John McIvor for McElhatton, Ronan Donnelly for Mullan (BC)

Scorers: John Gilmore 1-5, Conor O’Hare 1-0, Shea McGarrity 0-1, James McGahan 0-1

Referee: Jerome McElroy, Aghaloo