Bernie Mullan update on Derry GAA

Loup pick up points against under strength Bellaghy

Loup 1-10

Bellaghy 0-07

Loup moved two points clear of the relegation zone with this comfortable six point win over an under strength Bellaghy fifteen who are obviously concentrating on their forthcoming championship game against great rivals Ballinderry.

Teenager Anthony O’Neill was the scoring hero for Loup, his first half goal helping the home side to a 1-05 to 0-03 interval lead.

Bellaghy, who were without a cluster of regular defenders, improved significantly in the second half but were unable to cut into the Loup lead as O’Neill, Brian Doyle and Ciaran Devlin brought their points’ tally to 0-07 between them.

Bellaghy still have two games in hand on the teams above them in the chase for a top four finish, Loup a game in hand on five of the six teams below them.

The Loup scorers were Anthony O’Neill 1-03, Ciaran Devlin 0-02, Brian Doyle 0-02, Declan McVey, Aidan McVey and Gavan Mallon 0-01 each

Glenullin keep Castledawson in bottom spot

Glenullin 1-09

Castledawson 1-06

Glenullin scored four unanswered points in the last ten minutes to win this crucial relegation battle to keep Castldawson anchored at the foot of the table and facing a fight to stay out of Division Two after their promotion at the end of last season

Ten minutes from half time Leigh Mullan netted to put Glenullin 1-03 to 0-03 ahead after the sides had shared six points, three points still their advantage at half time after each side scored a point in the last ten minutes of a close game.

This victory takes Glenullin clear of the relegation zone with four games remaining, Castledawson firmly rooted to the bottom of the table and looking certain to finish in the relegation play off semi finals.

In the opening half Dermot O’Kane (2), Dominic McIlvar and Neil McNicholl shared the four points, Conor Scullion (2), Aidan McElhone and Kevin Hardy on target for Castledawson.

Neil McNicholl and Martin Heaney scored a point each after half time but then in the 42nd minute Martin Heaney netted for Castledawson to tie the scores. When Kieran O’Kane pointed midway through the half to put the visitors to Sean O’Maolain Park ahead it looked as if the bottom club might prevail.

However Glenullin rattled off four unanswered points from Gerard O’Kane (2), Brian Mullan and Dermot O’Kane to wrest victory from pending defeat.

The Glenullin scorers were Dermot O’Kane 0-03, Leigh Mullan 1-00, , Gerard O’Kane 0-02, Brian Mullan 0-02, Neil McNicholl 0-02

The Castledawson scorers were Martin Heaney 1-01, Conor Scullion 0-02, Aidan McElhone, Kevin Hardy and Kieran O’Kane 0-0 1 each

Early goals keep Ballinderry in top spot

Banagher 2-10

Ballinderry 3-13

Ballinderry had this game in the bag after just eighteen minutes when they raced into a 2-06 to no score lead. Banagher did rally before half time but still trailed 2-08 to 0-04 and showed plenty of spirit in the second half but they were never going to catch up with the speedy Ballinderry men who are now three points clear at the top of the table.

Banagher were without a number of players, including keeper Darrell McDermott, Padhraic and Eunan Murphy, Ruairi McCloskey, Ryan Lynch, Stefan McCloskey and Paul Murphy.

Within four minutes Martin Harney, Conleith Gilligan and Harney again had posted Ballinderry points, another scoring cluster from Dermot McGuckin, Darren McGeehan and Tony Martin bringing the tally to six midway through the half.

The Conleith Gilligan hit goals in the 46th and 47th minutes for 2-06 to 0-00, Kevin O’Neill from a free and Shane Farren getting Banagher on the scoreboard by the 22nd minute.

In the closing minutes of the half Tony Martin and Mark Lynch from a free had points, Conleith Gilligan from a free and Peter O’Kane on target as Ballinderry took a 2-08 to 0-04 lead to the break.

Martin Harney added a point on the restart for Shamrocks, a 35th minute Mark Lynch pointed free followed by a Lynch goal.

Kevin O’Neill had a Banagher point in between points from Tony Martin and Martin Harney, Chris Guy doing likewise between Dermot McGuckin and Michael Bell scores in the 48th minute. Gavan O’Neill and Micheal Anderson picked off points but Gavan McGeehan then extended the Ballinderry lead with the third goal, Kevin O’Neill with a point and Mark Lynch with a last minute goal completing the scoring.

The Banagher scorers were Mark Lynch 2-02, 0-02 frees, Kevin O’Neill 0-03, 0-01 free, Shane Farren, Peter O’Kane, Chris Guy, Gavan O’Neill and Micheal Anderson 0-01 each

The Ballinderry scorers were Conleith Gilligan 2-0, Gavan McGeehan 1-00, Martin Harney 0-04, Tony Martin 0-03, Dermot McGuckin 0-02, Darren McGeehan and Michael Bell 0-01 each

Dungiven win battle of under strength teams

Dungiven 1-14

Kilrea 2-08

When the sides lined out at O’Cahan Park on Sunday afternoon last Dungiven were without seven of their starting fifteen from the Greenlough game, keeper Kevin Farren; Paddy Kelly, Gavan McLaughlin, Liam Og Hinphey, Mark Craig, Cathal McKeever and Brian Og McGilligan, while Kilrea fielded without Charlie Kielt, James Kielt and Paddy McNeill from the side that defeated Banagher in the Qualifiers.

From start to finish it was a fast, open and entertaining game in wet, blustery conditions, the sides four times level in the opening quarter before Dungiven took control in the third quarter and hit five unanswered points to lead 0-09 to 0-04 at the break.

When they scored a goal with fifteen seconds of the restart to lead 1-09 to 0-04 their under-strength

Side looked on course for a comfortable victory but Kilrea had other ideas. Midway through the half the Pearses had cut the lead to 1-09 to 1-06, the sides level at 1-10 to 2-07 with nine minutes remaining and at 1-11 to 2-08 in the 55th minute. However Dungiven had the better of the exchanges in the final minutes and added three unanswered points for victory.

The opening eight points were shared between James McNicholl and Michael McWilliams, Paul Deighan and O’Kane from a free, Fergal McGuigan and Enda McAleese, O’Kane from another free and Benny Quigg.

Dungiven then took control and Darrell O’Kane put them 0-05 to 0-04 ahead in the 19th minute, Paul Murphy then adding two points before Cathal Grieve from a ‘45’ and Ryan McElhinney took the interval lead to 0-09 to 0-04.

Sean O’Neill had been the goalkeeper in the first half but, when Paul Murphy and Eoighin Farren went off at half time, Sean McNicholl came on in nets and Sean O’Neill went up front and netted within fifteen seconds!

Ten minutes into the second half Enda McAleese goaled to cut the lead to the lead to three points Enda McAleese grabbing a second in the 51st minute to tie the scores. With five minutes remaining Joe Morgan tied the scores again but Dungiven scored three late points for victory.

The Dungiven scorers were Darrell O’Kane 0-05 frees, Fergal McGuigan 0-03, Sean O’Neill 1-00, Paul Murphy 0-02, James McNicholl, Ryan McElhinney, Cathal Grieve ‘45’ and Sean O’Kane 0-01 each

The Kilrea scorers were Enda McAleese 1-01, Paul Deighan 1-01, Benny Quigg 0-03, Michael McWilliams, Aidan Rainey and Joe Morgan 0-01 each