Derry round up

H&A Mechanical Division One

Bellaghy - 3-14

Greenlough - 1-06

Long serving Greenlough goalie Vincent McDonnell showed that his reflexes are still as sharp as ever with a series of stunning saves that saved his team from an even heavier defeat. With emigration hitting their playing resources badly the Clady men look set for a difficult season.

With Fergal Doherty and Ryan McNally dominant at midfield, Michael McGoldrick and the powerful Thomas Hughes raiding effectively from the wing back positions, Laurence Diamond foraging all over the park to get the ball into the scoring zone, Bellaghy simply had too much fire-power for an overrun Greenlough defence.

Indeed when Joe Diver palmed the ball to the net in the 10th minute from an accurate Gavan Diamond cross the writing was on the wall for the Clady side in this local ‘derby’. Then the tireless Laurence Diamond set up Ryan McNally for the second goal five minutes later it really was ‘game over’, even if Greenlough battled gamely to the finish.

They trailed 2-08 to 1-01 at half time, Enda Lynn tucking the ball to the net from a 26th minute penalty. Eoghan Brown scored 0-03 in the first half, and Thomas Hughes 0-02 from frees, Brown showing a turn of speed three minutes after half time that took him clear of the Greenlough defenders. He gave keeper McDonnell no chance with his close range shot for the third goal.

Greenlough scored just one point from open play, John Og McPeake the scorer.

The Bellaghy scorers were Eoghan Brown 1-05, 0-01 free, Joe Diver 1-01, Ryan McNally 1-00, Thomas Hughes 0-03, 0-02 frees, Frankie Donnelly 0-02, Laurence Diamond 0-02, Gavan Diamond 0-01

The Greenlough scorers were Enda Lynn 1-02, 1-00 pen, 0-02 frees, Gary McPeake 0-02 frees and John Og McPeake 0-01

Craigbane - 1-11

Steelstown - 0-10

This was an all important game for both teams who had been promoted from the Intermediate ranks last year and it was the home team who made better use of the breeze to emerge comfortable enough winners in the end.

Steelstown had slightly the better of the exchanges in this game in the first half and led 0-05 to 0-04 at half time. Indeed they were 0-05 to 0-02 ahead, but two points from Lee Moore cut the lead to the minimum.

Without Stephen Cleary the scoring burden fell to his brother Aidan and he did not disappoint as he finished with 0-05. 0-03, Rory Moore and Cathal O’Kane 0-01 each

Ballinderry - 1-13

Glenullin - 0-7

As expected Ballinderry were too strong for Glenullin but they had to come from behind after the visitors went into a shock early lead.

Glenullin started this game in whirlwind fashion and led 0-04 to 0-01 after fifteen minutes, Paddy Bradley converting three frees before Raymond Wilkinson got the home side on the score sheet. With John O’Kane and Brian Mullan strong in central defence Glenullin added to the lead with a Dermot O’Kane point but that would be as good as it would get for the Mitchel’s as Ballinderry had a purple patch that yielded six unanswered points for 0-07 to 0-04 at half time. Colin Devlin scored two points, with Dermot McGuckin adding another before half backs Conor Nevin and Ryan Scott came forward to get their names on the scoresheet.

Colin Devlin retired at half time with a hamstring injury but his replacement Ryan Bell would go on to have a huge influence in the second half.

Paddy Bradley did cut the lead to 0-07 to 0-05 and Eoin Bradley to 0-08 to 0-06 after Ryan Bell scored a point but the latter then got on the end of an Aaron Devlin cross to collect the ball and drill it powerfully to the net.

With Daniel McKindless keeping a close eye on Eoin Bradley Glenullin could only manage one more score from Paddy Bradley, Aaron Devlin, Ryan Bell, James Bateson, Fintan Bell and Aaron Devlin again completing the scoring for a nine point win.

The Ballinderry scorers were Ryan Bell 1-02, Colin Devlin 0-02, Aaron Devlin 0-02, Raymond Wilkinson 0-02, James Bateson, Conor Nevin, Ryan Scott, Dermot McGuckin and Fintan Bell 0-01 each

The Glenullin scorers were Paddy Bradley 0-05, 0-03 frees, Dermot O’Kane and Eoin Bradley 0-01 each

Kilrea - 2-11

Glen - 1-08

Kilrea must be glad that Lee Kennedy is back from his travels, the impressive full forward was the undoubted star of this game at Pearse Park, his goal in the 25th minute after he’d scored two points, and James Kielt and Paddy McAlary one each, putting the home side 1-04 to 0-04 ahead. However Glen hit back immediately, with a 1-01 burst-Donal Leahy scoring the goal- to take a 1-05 to 1-04 lead to the break.

Lee Kennedy started he second half with a brace of points before Glen levelled the score at 1-06 each.

Then came a scoring burst that took Kilrea to their second victory, Lee Kennedy’s second goal followed by points from Paddy McAlary, James Kielt and Enda McAleese as the Pearses went into a 2-09 to 1-06 lead.

Kilrea manager Peter Doherty was able to use all five substitutes, two of them for injuries to James Kielt and Benny Quigg. Lee Kennedy brought his tally to 2-05, Paddy McNeill getting the final score in the 60th minute.

The Kilrea scorers were Lee Kennedy 2-05, James Kielt 0-02, Paddy McAlary 0-02, Enda McAleese and Paddy McNeill free 0-01 each

The Glen scorers were Donal Leahy 1-01, Mark O’Donnell 0-03, Connlan Bradley, Ryan Winton, Sean Fribben and John McCamley 0-01 each

Magherafelt - 1-06

Slaughtneil - 0-06

Magherafelt could be the shock team of the top division this year as they scored a second successive over one of the big names in Division One. Their tight defence conceded just a single point from open play during the hour.

In years past Magherafelt would probably have lost games like this against the top teams in this division, that is a close game that could have gone either way but invariably went against Rossas against the fancied teams.

However Magherafelt have been putting in a lot of hard work over the winter and new manager Gary Coleman has instilled a determination in the side that stood to them in this game.

There was never much between the sides , three times level in the first half before the Rossas took a 0-04 to 0-03 interval lead.

Fergal McEldowney put Slaughtneil ahead after nine minutes but Paul Dillon levelled a minute later. Paul Bradley converted a free either side of one by Phillip McCusker but Rossas closed a low-scoring first half with points from a Chrissy Spiers free and Emmett McGuckin for a 0-04 to 0-03 lead.

On the restart Emmett McGuckin extended the lead with a point but that was the only score of the third quarter.

Midway through the half Emmet McGuckin thudded a shot against the bar but Phillip McCusker followed up to knock the ball to the net for 1-05 to 0-03. Paul Bradley pointed a free to cut the lead to four points but Conor Kearns responded, Rossas final score of the game.

Slaughtneil scored points from Paul Bradley and Jim Kelly frees in the last ten minutes but they also hit four wides as Magherafelt held on for a rare win over Saughtneil.

The Magherafelt scorers were Phillip McCusker 1-01, Emmett McGuckin 0-02,Chrissy Spiers and Paul Dillon 0-01 each

The Slaughtneil scorers were Paul Bradley 0-04 frees, Jim Kelly free and Fergal McEldowney 0-01 each