GAA: Dungannon boys see off the Abbey CBS challenge at the second attempt

Ruairi McGlone slams the ball into the back of the Newry net. INTT0814-703DCA
Ruairi McGlone slams the ball into the back of the Newry net. INTT0814-703DCA

St.Patrick’s Academy 1-12

Abbey CBS 0-11

St.Patrick’s Academy Dungannon are through to the last four of the Danske Bank MacRory Cup after beating Abbey CBS in their quarter final replay under lights at Inniskeen on Thursday evening.

After playing poorly in the first half the winners lifted their game in the second period with a goal inside the opening minute from Michael Lynn giving them the boost that they needed.

Unlike seven days earlier when they surrendered a four point lead in injury time at the end of the game this time around there was to be no mistake as they defended manfully to deservedly book their place in the semi finals.

In Ryan Treanor Abbey CBS had the best player on the field, the son of Down legend John “Shorty” Treanor finishing the game with a highly impressive eight points to his name.

His herculean efforts proved to be in vain, as on the night the Academy produced a better all-round display with Michael McKernan, Rhys Quinn, Ruairi McGlone, Che O’Donnell and Lynn to the fore.

As was the case in the original tie it was the Newry lads who made all the early running with Treanor hitting a brace, one of which was from a well struck 45.

Abbey could well have found themselves a goal down inside sixty seconds but for a superb reflex save from keeper Aidan Morgan to deny Conn Kilpatrick.

Abbey looked the more threatening side going forward but after twenty minutes if was 0-3 apiece with O’Donnell, Tiarnan Donnelly and Ryan Coleman the Academy marksmen.

Treanor and Sean Cooper then edged Abbey two in front but a few wides meant that they didn’t fully make the most of the possession that came their way.

The Academy on the other hand made the most of the limited scoring chances that they got in the opening period and a couple of Donnelly frees in the closing minutes left them only 0-6 to 0-5 adrift at the interval with all to play for.

An early second half goal seven days earlier had set the tone for an Academy revival and this time round they found the net inside a minute through Michael Lynn to give them a lead that they were never to relinquish.

McGlone, O’Donnell and Lynn all landed quality points with Treanor responding at the other end of the field and going into the final quarter the winners held a four point advantage.

Right half back Cormac McCartan ventured forward to hit a fine score for Abbey but Academy midfielder Marcus Mulgrew cancelled that out before substitute Stephen McGrath and impressive Captain Lynn put them five clear with five to play.

It was going to take another late goal for Abbey to have any chance of getting a result - but this time all they could muster was a Donagh McAleenan point as a resolute Dungannon defence held out to go through.

It took them two matches, but the Academy are still there.