GAA: Moortown are champions, but only after a scare at Tobin Park

Moortown captain PJ Quinn lifts the cup.
Moortown captain PJ Quinn lifts the cup.


Moortown were crowned Division Two League champions at Tobin Park on Sunday following a hard-fought victory over Edendork, but the result could have been different had referee Fergal Ward not disallowed a visiting goal at a crucial stage of the second half.

Moortown enjoyed a dream start when Conor Herron’s effort was deflected into the net for an own goal and, with Daniel Kelly and Herron netting again, the Lough shore men enjoyed a commanding 3-8 to 0-6 halftime lead, Darren McCurry and two fisted Peter Mallon points keeping Edendork in touch.

With the elements in their favour, Edendork took over on the turnaround with substitute Niall Morgan landing three monstrous long range frees and, when Darragh Conway struck for a goal, it was game on.

Edendork were chasing the game with Ryan Kelly and McCurry trading points before the disallowed goal deflated the visiting challenge. Tony Quinn and Karl Hagan stretched the hoops lead before Edendork lost the services of Sean Donnelly to a second yellow card in the concluding stages.

Moortown sealed victory with a Peter Devlin point to signal the promotion celebrations as league champions.

Moortown scorers - Conor Herron 1-3, Karl Hagan 0-4, Daniel Quinn 1-0, Lorcan McGrath (OG) 1-0; Tony Quinn 0-3, Brian McLernon 0-1, Ryan Kelly 0-1, Peter Devlin 0-1

Edendork scorers - Darren McCurry 0-5, Niall Morgan 0-3, Darragh Conway 1-0, Peter Mallon 0-2, Brian Og O’Rourke 0-1


Regular scoring bursts proved decisive as Dungannon secured Intermediate survival with a six point victory over Brackaville on Wednesday.

The visiting Roes supplied the opening two points through Joe Rafferty and Che O’Donnell before being rocked with a 10th minute dismissal, referee Mickey McCarron red-cardING Conor McStravog.

Dungannon seized control with a Patrick Quinn goal but, incensed at the dismissal, Brackaville staged a positive reaction as they fought back to take a 1-3 to 0-7 halftime lead.

Ciaran Gervin registered a quintet of points, Padraig McNulty accounting for the Clarkes second quarter score.

Brackaville still enjoyed the upper hand until Dungannon posted a 1-3 tally to edge ahead. Quinn, Barry Cassidy and SA Burns tagging on points to augment a Barry Logan major for a 2-8 to 0-9 advantage.

Gervin responded instantly with a green flag as a cracking contest developed, but Dungannon’s need for the spoils was greater and saw them kick on with Cassidy’s goal signalling another purple patch that settled the issue.

Dungannon scorers - Patrick Quinn 1-4, Barry Cassidy 1-2, Barry Logan 1-0, Kiefer Morgan 0-3, Padraig McNulty 0-1, Sean Anthony Burns 0-1

Brackaville scorers - Ciaran Gervin 1-6, Che O’Donnell 0-3, Gary Ferguson 0-1, Joe Rafferty 0-1


Stewartstown ended any lingering doubts about their league status for 2014 with an impressive second half demolition of a depleted Eskra outfit at Mullaghmoyle.

The newly-crowned champions fielded a makeshift team but they competed well throughout the first half, as the teams remained level 1-5 apiece at the midway junction.

Peter Hughes opened the scoring for the Emmett’s but a James Kelly goal coupled with points from Gareth Devlin and Macauley Quinn allowed Stewartstown to nose ahead until Cormac Arkinson goaled on 16 minutes. Niall Meegan and Aaron Kelly supplying the last two points of the half to leave it delicately poised.

The second period turned out to be one of shooting practice for the Harps from the moment Gareth Devlin drilled home a 39th minute goal. Conor Quinn, Ryan Devlin, and Gareth Devlin all posted points as they scored 1-6 without reply in the third quarter. Hughes opened Eskra’s account on 48 minutes but, by then, Stewartstown were never going to be headed as they sealed the spoils to end any doubts about their footballing future in the second tier.

Stewartstown scorers - Gareth Devlin 1-5, James Kelly 1-3, Macauley Quinn 0-4, Ryan Devlin 0-2, Conor Quinn 0-1

Eskra scorers - Peter Hughes 0-4, Cormac Arkinson 1-0, Niall Meegan 0-1, Aaron Kelly 0-1, Niall Marlow 0-1, Conor O’Hagan 0-1, Cathal McCaffrey 0-1


Rock’s efforts to avoid the relegation play-offs ended in disappointing fashion with a narrow one point derby defeat to Kildress at Gortacladdy.

The St Patrick’s needed to win and hope for other results to favour them but, as it transpired, Derrytresk’s victory over Pomeroy means there is now no hiding place for Rock, faced with a survival dogfight in the coming weeks against the junior hopefuls seeking a step into the second grade.

It looked so promising for Rock as they greeted the interval 1-8 to 0-4 ahead thanks to a fortuitous Conor McCreesh sideline that bounced short and deceived keeper Gerard Grimes for a goal on 22 minutes, McCreesh clipping over a succession of points alongside Aidan McGarrity and Ciaran Gourley amongst others.

The Tones responded via Matthew Heagney and Johnny Connolly before taking control in the second segment. Niall Quinn, Des Treacy and Eoin Brannigan pointed and as Kildress pressed Heagney goaled on 47 minutes for a 1-9 to 1-8 deficit.

Eamon Ward hit the visitors only point in that spell but, when Conor McCreesh levelled, a draw looked likely until substitute Colm Loughran guided over a winning point that could see Kildress reaching the promotion play-offs.

They face Edendork in a winner takes all scenario for the last ticket this weekend,

Kildress scorers - Matthew Heagney 1-2, Des Treacy 0-3, Frank McGurk 0-3, Eoin Brannigan 0-1, Johnny Connolly 0-1, Colm Loughran 0-1, Niall Quinn 0-1

Rock scorers - Conor McCreesh 1-6, Eamon Ward 0-2, Ciaran Gourley 0-1, Aidan McGarrity 0-1, Diarmuid Carroll 0-1


Derrytresk alleviated their relegation worries with a narrow victory on their travels to Pomeroy on Sunday.

The Fir an Chnoic are now locked with Aghyaran on 11 points, with the results of their fixtures next weekend deciding which of the pair will face Rock in the play-offs.

A weekend wedding, injuries and absentees not helping the Plunketts cause as they saw their promotion play-off prospects dashed in a proverbial game of two halves.

Sean Murphy found the visiting net twice in the opening thirty minutes as Pomeroy enjoyed a 2-7 to 0-6 half time cuppa - Ollie McCreesh accounting for the bulk of their scores from frees, while Cathal McKenna also raised a white flag. Niall Gavin, Cathal O’Neill and Mickey Rea featured on the away scoresheet.

The opening score of the second half was a Brian Gavin goal and it galvanised a Derrytresk unit who utilised the elements better. Patrick Campbell, O’Neill and Gavin all managed points, Pomeroy only troubling the empires once in the entire half.

Derrytresk picked up the win that gives them a fighting chance of avoiding trouble.

Pomeroy scorers - Sean Murphy 2-2, Ollie McCreesh 0-5, Cathal McKenna 0-1

Derrytresk scorers - Cathal O’Neill 0-4, Brian Gavin 1-0, Niall Gavin 0-3, Liam Slater 0-2, Mickey Rea 0-2, Patrick Campbell 0-1