GAA: St Patrick’s Maghera claim MacRory crown

Danny Tallon scores past Omagh's Patrick O'Neill
Danny Tallon scores past Omagh's Patrick O'Neill

St Patrick’s Maghera 1-12

Omagh CBS 1-8

Heroic midfielder Conor Glass gets to grips with Omagh's Conan McElduff.

Heroic midfielder Conor Glass gets to grips with Omagh's Conan McElduff.

St Patrick’s College, Maghera claimed their second MacRory Cup title in as many years as they overcame the brave challenge og Omagh CBS at the Athletic Grounds in Armagh.

Trailing by two points at the break, St Patrick’s move clear of the Tyrone school in the opening quarter of the second half with five points on the trot at the beginning of the second half.

Danny Tallon, who was awarded the Iggy Jones Memorial Trophy as man of the match got the games decisive score as he fired into the Omagh net at the second time of asking to give his side an unassailable lead.

Omagh will feel a little hard done by, Tallon having double bounced in the build up to the goal, while a foot block at the other end when unnoticed by referee Ciaran Brannigan as Omagh tried to get back into the game.

Maghera, however were the better team over the 60 minutes and deserved their title.

The first half was a nip and tuck affair with the one moment of real class Conan McElduff’s 12th minute goal as he won a long ball and fired past a helpless Ciaran McCloy.

Maghera had earlier missed two glorious goal chances as Danny Tallon shot an early effort just wide of the right post, while minutes later Packie O’Neill in the Omagh goal saved brilliantly from Cormac Convery as he punched an effort at the goal.

Sean McGale and McElduff had scored early points for Omagh but Maghera led prior to the Omagh goal with Jack Doherty, Conor Cassidy and Convery on target with points.

Tallon and Omagh’s Gavin Slane exchanged points before St Patrick’s levelled the score just before the break with Peter Hagan getting forward to score before Tallon slotted beautifully over after a patient build up.

The Maghera scores seemed to be coming that bit easier, but it was Omagh who led at the break.

They could well have had another goal as first McCloy saved from McElduff and then Meehaul McGrath got back on the line to brilliantly deny Gavin Slane.

O’Neill fired over the resulting 45, before an Aidan McSorley point left Omagh in the lead by two at the interval.

Omagh took their time getting back onto the field for the second half and Maghera made them pay with an electric start moving three clear before Omagh registered their first score of the half.

Paul McAtamney pointed a free inside the opening minute to narrow the gap, and they were level seconds later, Paul Gunning hoisting his effort over the bar.

Two quick Conor Convery points moved Maghera into a commanding position as Conor Glass, Conor Cassidy and Cathal Mulholland began to exert a real influence around the middle.

A long run and point from corner back Caolan McNeill extended the advantage before Omagh pulled a point back with midfielder James Darcy lofting over a much needed Omagh point.

Then came the games decisive score, Danny Tallon bursting past Cillian McCann and shooting low only to have his shot saved. He picked up the rebound however and fired into the Omagh net giving his side a five point lead.

Ronan McHugh got a much needed point back for his side but Paul Gunning cancelled this effort out with a well taken score of his own.

Omagh could have gotten back into the game but Peter Teague had his shot blocked before, Conan McElduff’s follow up appeared to be blocked by a Maghera foot.

Omagh’s Darcy pointed again from play but the goal the Tyrone boys desperately needed never came and Maghera ran out four point winners to add yet another MacRory crown to their extensive collection.