GAA: Three-times champions Cavan up first for Tyrone U21

Darren Mc Curry fists the ball forward for Tyrone. INTT3513-705DCA
Darren Mc Curry fists the ball forward for Tyrone. INTT3513-705DCA

New Tyrone U21 manager Feargal Logan will lead his charges into the lion’s den on Wednesday night as they meet a Cavan side which is seeking a four-in-a-row of Ulster titles.

Tyrone got their season off to the best possible start, by winning the Shamock Cup at Cremartin recently but they will be well aware that Wednesday night’s big Breffni Park encounter will represent a stark step up in class for Tyrone.

Cavan will have the advantage of having already had championship football, having beaten a useful Derry side in the preliminary round encounter last weekend, a win they achieved quite comfortably.

Tyrone will be pleased that they are able to call on the senior experience of Darren McCurry, who has starred in Tyrone’s McKenna Cup campaign but sat out Sunday’s win over Westmeath to stay fresh for the Cavan clash.

It’s now eight long years since Tyrone won the Ulster title at this level, despite having had some very promising teams - especially over the past three or four years.

It’s unquestionably a big test for the fledging county manager but Logan, right, is an astute tactician and pays meticulous attention to every detail of a team’s preparations and will instill them with confidence and belief.

Meanwhile, the senior team got their National Football League campaign back on track on Sunday as they accounted for Westmeath on a 2-23 to 1-12 scoreline.

Having made seven changes from the team that lost so dismally in Killarney, Tyrone impressively pulled away from the Midlanders in second half, helped by goals from Sean Cavanagh and Ronan O’Neill.

The win was of great significance for Tyrone as it puts them right in the play-off hunt with two games remaining.

On Sunday week Mickey Harte’s charges make the long trip to Cork as they meet Brian Cuthbert’s rejuvenated Rebels, while the following week Dublin will make the trip to Healy Park for what could be a crucial final round encounter.