Harps’ bragging rights

Stewartstown's ace attacker, Gareth Devlin. INTT1611-707DCA
Stewartstown's ace attacker, Gareth Devlin. INTT1611-707DCA

Brackaville 1-8 Stewartstown 1-14

Stewartstown broke their league duck, at the fourth time of asking in some style when lowering the unbeaten flag of parish rivals Brackaville at O’Brien Park.

A third minute goal from Gareth Devlin signalled the visitors desire to secure the bragging rights with the former Tyrone panellist posting a 1-6 tally before the close of play.

Ciaran Gervin got Brackaville going, but it was Stewartstown, who established control to forge 1-6 to 0-1 clear.

Macauley Quinn and Dan Lowe among the visiting marksmen before a late revival harvested home scores from Gervin and Joe Rafferty to half close the deficit 1-7 to 0-5 by half time.

A first minute Che O’Donnell goal bolstered Brackaville on the resumption but the Harps stood firm - captain James Kelly sandwiching a Devlin brace to restore their healthy cushion and, even though Brackaville tagged on the final two points through Gervin and Tyrone minor Rian McHugh, it wasn’t enough to deny Stewartstown a fully warranted win.

Brackaville scorers - Ciaran Gervin 0-4, Che O’Donnell 1-0, Joe Rafferty 0-1, Dara McGuinness 0-1, Martin Gervin 0-1, Rian McHugh 0-1

Stewartstown scorers - Gareth Devlin 1-6, James Kelly 0-2, Peter Armour 0-2, James Campbell 0-1, Cathal Devlin 0-1, Macauley Quinn 0-1, Dan Lowe 0-1

Rock 0-11 Pomeroy 1-12

A five point scoring burst at the start of the third quarter saw Pomeroy turn a three point halftime deficit into a winning platform on their travels to St Patrick’s Park.

Conor McCreesh weighed in with a brace of points to augment efforts from Mark McAleer and Aidan McGarrity as Rock held a 4-1 lead, but Pomeroy were eager to prove their worth in a competitive derby meeting with corner back Aidan Cunningham splitting the uprights to half the margin 6-3 by the midway stage.

Cunningham opened the second half scoring to signal a productive spell for the Plunketts as Justin McCaffrey, Hugh McNamee and Ollie McCreesh nudged them two points clear before McGarrity supplied Rock‘s first score on 42 minutes.

Three minutes later visiting wing back Kevin Armstrong crashed home the only goal of the evening and, despite losing man of the match Jarleth Quinn to a second cautionable infraction, Pomeroy were never headed. Brackaville whistler Sean Quinn dismissed the midfielder in the concluding stages and, while Rock threatened a revival via a trio of points, an Ollie McCreesh free settled the argument.

Rock scorers - Conor McCreesh 0-4, Aidan McGarrity 0-4, Mark McAleer 0-1, Eamon Ward 0-1, James McCreesh 0-1

Pomeroy scorers - Justin McCaffrey 0-4, Ollie McCreesh 0-4, Kevin Armstrong 1-1, Aidan Cunningham 0-2, Hugh McNamee 0-1

Clann na Gael 0-8 Moortown 3-14

Moortown cemented their place at the summit of the intermediate league table following this impressive score line at O’Connell Park on Friday evening, but they needed a 41st minute Brian McLernon goal before pulling clear of their luckless hosts in the final quarter.

The Clansmen seeking a first win of the season played with great intensity to establish a 3-0 lead before their wind assisted guests opened their account via a McLernon point on 18 minutes. Michael O’Neill and Sean O’Kane among those on target as the underdogs met the break 5-4 in front.

Moortown struggled to contain the Clans on the restart and, with the teams dead locked 7-7 and an upset still a possibility the scales tipped firmly in the Lough shore men’s favour, when their goalkeeper produced a stunning save to thwart Dominic Devine.

It proved a pivotal moment because St Malachys reacted emphatically to the danger as McLernon goaled shortly afterwards before Daniel Quinn found the onion bag on 46 minutes to burst open the floodgates. Karl Hagan notched a third major with Padraig Hagan and Tony Quinn managing points as the hosts, who only registered one point in the final twenty minutes wilted. Moortown now the only team in the division still boasting an unbeaten record.

Clann na Gael scorers - Michael O’Neill 0-3, Sean O’Kane 0-2, Barry McGill 0-2, Damian Ball 0-1

Moortown scorers - Karl Hagan 1-3, Brian McLernon 1-2, Tony Quinn 0-4, Padraig Hagan 0-3, Daniel Quinn 1-0, Jarleth Hagan 0-1, Conor Herron 0-1

Galbally 2-8 Strabane 1-8

Galbally’s second tier renaissance continued at Pearse Park on Friday where they brought Strabane’s unbeaten run to an end.

The Pearse’s found themselves 1-2 to no score adrift after only 8 minutes play as Strabane looked primed for a comfortable outing. John McLaughlin maintaining his rich vein of goal scoring form, when he fisted a Warner Mullan delivery past goalkeeper Phillip Maguire

Sixty seconds later Galbally were raising their own green flag through Sean Murphy and, after Michael Murphy and Martin McNulty traded minors Sean Murphy’s speculative effort sailed to the net for a 2-1 to 1-3 lead. The sides sharing the final four points of the half, as Galbally enjoyed a fragile 2-3 to 1-5 advantage.

The introduction of county minor Ronan Nugent had a massive bearing on the second period for the winners, as he marked his senior debut in style. Mullan swapping points with Ciaran McCrory and Murphy before Marc Devine provided the Sigersons’ final point of the contest on 44 minutes.

Galbally finishing with authority as minor Chris Morris hit the score of the evening from distance leaving substitute Blaine Nugent to put the gloss on another useful home display.

Galbally scorers - Sean Murphy 2-0, Michael Murphy 0-5, Ciaran McCrory 0-1, Chris Morris 0-1, Blaine Nugent 0-1

Strabane scorers - John McLaughlin 1-2 Warner Mullan 0-3, Martin McNulty 0-1, Marc Devine 0-1, JP Gallagher 0-1

Edendork 2-10 Urney 1-11

Country star Mike Denver may have been the star attraction for Edendork over the weekend, but the St Malachy’s demonstrated their own character to etch out a five point win over Urney on Sunday.

Fielding without their respective county contingents first half goals from Conor Mallon and Lorcan McGrath allowed the hosts to establish a 2-4 to 1-3 interval lead.

Stephen Lafferty supplied the visiting major on ten minutes with TJ Duffy and Gary Lafferty hitting two late points to keep them in touch.

Brian O’Rourke and Mallon pushed Edendork further ahead only for Urney to respond with a quintet of points to reduce the gap 2-6 to 1-8. The introduction of Jamie McAleer and James McMenamin helping them claw their way back into contention.

PJ McMenamin provided two points and a treble from the influential McAleer raised their hopes, but Edendork were always able to pick off a score at the opposite end through Ciaran O’Connor and Jarleth O’Rourke as they returned to winning ways.

Edendork scorers - Conor Mallon 1-2, Lorcan McGrath 1-0, Jarleth O’Rourke 0-3, Brian Og O’Rourke 0-2, Brian McGuckin 0-1, Jake Ferguson 0-1, Ciaran O’Connor 0-1

Urney scorers - Stephen Lafferty 1-1, Ryan Henry 0-3, Jamie McAleer 0-3, PJ McMenamin 0-2, TJ Duffy 0-1, Gary Lafferty 0-1

Derrytresk 0-13 Kildress 1-9

An eleven point contribution from Caolan Corr and Joe McKee saw Derrytresk spring a surprise on Kildress.

The Wolfe Tones looked set for victory, when holding a three point lead entering the final six minutes only for the Fir and Chnoic to level the issue before substitute Conor O’Neill steered over the winner a minute from time.

There was nothing to choose between the teams in an evenly contested first segment that saw Derrytresk shade the scoring exchanges to lead by the odd point in eleven. McKee, Corr and Leon McErlean accounting for the home tally, while Kildress replied in kind through Phillip Lennon, Des Treacy and Colm Loughran for a 6-5 score line.

The tit for tat continued in the second period as Frank McGurk and Martin Grimes tied the match 7-7 before Loughran struck for a 38th minute goal.

Kildress continued to hold that three point cushion until Corr tagged on three points inside a three minute period to square the match yet again on 57 minutes and, as both teams chased the winner it was left to O’Neill to seal a super win for the East Tyrone men.

Derrytresk scorers - Caolan Corr 0-6, Joe McKee 0-5, Leon McErlean 0-1, Conor O’Neill 0-1

Kildress scorers - Colm Loughran 1-1, Des Treacy 0-4, Phillip Lennon 0-1, Frank McGurk 0-1, Martin Grimes 0-1, Matthew Heagney 0-1

Dungannon 3-10 Eskra 1-13

Dungannon’s recent displays suggested that they were on the verge of opening their intermediate league account sooner rather than later and, aided by three first half goals they did exactly just that, at O’Neill Park in Sunday‘s evening fixture.

Adam Mallon and Padraig McNulty had the Clarke’s 3-0 ahead by the time Eskra opened their scoring on 11 minutes, but the hosts continued to run riot with Kiefer Morgan netting on 14 minutes.

Within a minute Conor McGinn found the rigging for a 2-5 to 0-2 lead and, when Morgan registered goal number three on 21 minutes the Emmett’s looked doomed. Eskra hitting the final five points of the half for a 3-6 to 0-9 deficit.

Two Mallon frees negated Eskra’s attempted revival in the third quarter and despite losing Dominic Hands to a second yellow card on 55 minutes, Dungannon were never in danger of losing.

Eskra grabbed a late consolation goal as Dungannon belatedly opened their league tally with Morgan fisting over the last score of the match.

Dungannon scorers - Kiefer Morgan 2-2, Adam Mallon 0-5, Conor McGinn 1-0, Sean Anthony Burns 0-1, Padraig McNulty 0-1, Patrick Quinn 0-1

Aghyaran 0-10 Gortin 1-14

Gortin picked up their second successive league win courtesy of an impressive seven point victory over Aghyaran on Sunday.

The St Patrick’s producing a dominant first half display to establish a match winning platform with Diarmuid McNulty bagging the only goal as they eased into a 1-8 to 0-4 lead.

Kevin McCullagh, Michael Mossey and Ruairi Keenan registered away points as Aghyaran laboured to make an impression - Aidan Connolly accounting for three of their first half scores.

Connolly matched his opening half scoring feat to bring his personal haul to six points with Roger Leonard and Sean Byrne also raising white flags.

But, in truth, they never looked like winning as McCullagh and McNulty shared the entire visiting second half tally between them.

McCullagh finishing with six points before earning the wrath of Eglish official Martin Mohan when he was dismissed late on.

Aghyaran scorers - Aidan Connolly 0-6, Roger Leonard 0-2, Jude O’Donnell 0-1, Sean Byrne 0-1

Gortin scorers - Diarmuid McNulty 1-4, Kevin McCullagh 0-6, Ruairi Keenan 0-1, Niall McGinn 0-1, Michael Mossey 0-1, Brian McGarvey 0-1