Moortown break free with win at Galbally’s home

Padraig McNulty breaks free from Brackaville's Sean Corr  INTT3912-537JS
Padraig McNulty breaks free from Brackaville's Sean Corr INTT3912-537JS

Dungannon made it back to back wins in the intermediate football league on Saturday evening and eased their relegation worries following a dominant second half showing against Derrytresk.

The visiting Fir an Chnoic showed ahead 1-2 to 0-4, at the short whistle thanks to a Ronan O’Neill goal with Cathal O’Neill and Joe McKee accounting for their points, but the second half belonged to the hosts, who posted the opening three points of the half to signal their intent.

Kiefer Morgan and Barry Cassidy (two frees) handing the Clarke’s the initiative and, while Derrytresk replied through Conor O’Neill and Caolan Corr to level the contest 0-7 to 1-4, they were struggling. Morgan landed three frees before the visitors raised their final point of the evening. Colm Corrigan doing the spadework that resulted in a Patrick Quinn goal as the hosts finished in style. Declan Treanor and Padraig McNulty getting among the points tally.

Dungannon scorers - Kiefer Morgan 0-7, Patrick Quinn 1-1, Padraig McNulty 0-2, Barry Cassidy 0-2, Dermot Burns 0-1, Declan Treanor 0-1

Derrytresk scorers - Ronan O’Neill 1-0, Joe McKee 0-2, Cathal O’Neill 0-1, Caolan Corr 0-1, Conor O’Neill 0-1

First half goals from Conor Herron and Brian McLernon did the trick for League leaders Moortown, as they continued their title charge with a deserving victory over second placed Galbally.

The game of the day in the second tier saw the Lough shore men rubberstamping their title credentials with a convincing win with those first half majors helping them into a decisive 2-5 to 0-5 halftime lead.

Blaine Nugent and Karl Hagan registered early points for a level game before Herron rounded home goalkeeper Phillip Maguire to goal on 9 minutes for a 1-2 to 0-1 lead. Three Michael Murphy points inside eight minutes kept the Pearse’s in contention, but Moortown remained the better team with Brian McLernon steering home a 26th minute penalty after referee Martin Sludden had penalised Martin Brannigan.

Galbally continued to make a game of it on the turnaround with Murphy, Paul Rafferty and Nugent all managing points, but the Pearse’s were unable to close the six point gap sufficiently. Two fisted Herron points illustrating the leader’s determination to win and, even though Sean Murphy poached, a goal on 54 minutes Moortown were not to be denied the honours that keeps them at the top of the pile.

Galbally scorers - Michael Murphy 0-5, Sean Murphy 1-0, Paul Rafferty 0-3, Blaine Nugent 0-2,

Moortown scorers - Conor Herron 1-3, Brian McLernon 1-0, Peter Devlin 0-2, Karl Hagan 0-2, Padraig Hagan 0-2, Tony Quinn 0-1

Strabane continue to keep the pressure on league leaders Moortown and the manner of this convincing win over Clann Na Gael, albeit minus a few key players emphasised that the Sigerson’s are desperate to remain in title contention.

The result was never really in any doubt as the hosts bossed all facets of play and generally called all the shots from first whistle to the last. Malcolm McCool, John McLaughlin and Michael Etherson featured on the home scoreboard in half one as they established a match winning advantage. Cathal McGill and Danny Ball had Clann Na Gael scores but trailing 8-2 at the break, it was already a damage limitation exercise.

Things failed to get better on the restart for the Clansmen, as Damian Ball posted the visitors only score of the half on 51 minutes. By that stage Strabane had extended their lead courtesy of some fine points from Ryan O’Kane, Paddy Roarty and Martin Morgan before midfielder Gerard McCrossan completed an impressive home display in the closing minutes.

Strabane scorers - John McLaughlin 0-4, Michael Etherson 0-4, Malcolm McCool, 0-3, Gerard McCrossan 0-2, JP Gallagher 0-2, Ryan O’Kane 0-2, Paddy Roarty 0-1, Martin Mongan 0-1,

Clann Na Gael scorers - Cathal McGill 0-1, Danny Ball 0-1, Damien Ball 0-1

Edendork boosted their prospects of a place in the promotion play offs, as they put paid to Gortin’s recent revival, at the St Malachy’s base on Saturday.

The crucial score of the game arrived in injury time, when Stephen Gervin bagged a third home goal to quell an impressive second half recovery from the visitors, who managed to restore parity 2-10 apiece with four minutes remaining.

Swapped points between Niall McGinn and David Toner set the tone for a free flowing half, as both teams attacked regularly with missed goal chances adding to the entertainment. Edendork though did find the net twice via Toner and Lorcan McGrath as they met the interval break 2-6 to 0-6 clear and, well on course for victory. Gortin stayed in touch with points from Kevin Mossey and Diarmuid McNulty, while Brian McGuckin was Edendork’s main source of points from placed balls.

The second period saw Gortin displaying great battling traits and aided by two McNulty goals, they hauled their way back onto level terms. Full back Barry Daly and Ruairi Keenan with useful points and, while Edendork had lost their focus, they rose to the challenge in fine style in the closing minutes where a 1-2 salvo secured victory. McGuckin and Toner pointed before Gervin’s goal strike settled the issue.

Edendork scorers - David Toner 1-4, Brian McGuckin 0-6, Stephen Gervin 1-1, Lorcan McGrath 1-0, Karl McGuckin 0-1

Gortin scorers - Diarmuid McNulty 2-2, Kevin Mossey 0-4, Niall McGinn 0-1, Ruairi Keenan 0-1, Barry Daly 0-1, Kevin McCullagh 0-1

Both teams managed eleven scores each, but that will be scant consolation to Aghyaran, as they tasted a disappointing derby defeat to northern neighbours Urney on Saturday.

The St Davog’s played some excellent football in the first half and, deservedly met the interval 6-4 in front. The sides were level three times inside the opening 16 minutes with Jamie McAleer and Sean Byrne cancelling each other from frees before Michael Anderson, Gary Leonard and a fourth from Byrne handed the visitors the upper hand.

Anthony Devine increased that advantage minutes into the second period before Urney produced a decisive scoring burst that yielded 1-3 inside 5

minutes. McAleer and Stephen Lafferty pointed before Plunkett Langan pounced for the all important goal on 11 minutes and, when Lafferty added a second point, Urney were in control. Substitute Packie Connolly landed two points for Aghyaran, but the concession of that goal meant their struggles, at the lower end of the table continue.

Urney scorers - Jamie McAleer 0-4, Plunkett Langan 1-0, Danny Lynch 0-2, Stephen Lafferty 0-2, Ryan Henry 0-1, Fergal McNulty 0-1

Aghyaran scorers - Sean Byrne 0-4, Anthony Devine 0-3, Packie Connolly 0-2, Michael Anderson 0-1, Gary Leonard 0-1

Kildress’ struggles in the relegation zone continued at Gortacladdy on Saturday evening when Eskra collected an impressive victory to remain in the hunt, at the opposite end of the table.

A first minute goal from Cormac Arkinson doing the trick, as the visiting Emmett’s enjoyed a 1-6 to 0-5 interval cuppa. Des Treacy kicked three first half frees for the Tones in response to points from Joe McCarroll and Peter Hughes. Indeed Eskra could have been further ahead as Kildress goalkeeper Gerard Grimes produced a superb penalty save to thwart Hughes on 11 minutes.

Hughes continued to torment Kildress in the second half with Conor O’Hagan, Eoin McCaffrey and McCarroll also on target as they extended their lead. Kildress could only muster two second half points from Frank McGurk as they remain in a dogfight with four others teams in the battle to avoid the relegation play offs.

Kildress scorers - Frank McGurk 0-3, Des Treacy 0-3, Martin Grimes 0-1

Eskra scorers - Peter Hughes 0-5, Cormac Arkinson 1-0, Joe McCarroll 0-2, Conor O’Hagan 0-2, Eoin McCaffrey 0-2, Shane Hackett 0-1

Rock may have been expected to feature among the challengers for intermediate honours in 2013, but Saturday’s latest reversal leaves them sitting in relegation trouble, as Stewartstown gave their own survival aspirations a massive shot in the arm.

Stewartstown bossed the opening period on their way to a commanding 1-5 to 0-1 lead. Cathal Devlin bagging the three pointer alongside a succession of quality points from the Devlin clan - Gareth and Ryan. Martin McCreesh weighed in with the hosts only score of the half, but their scoring improved considerable in half two.

Conor McCreesh clicked into gear registering nine second half points with Karl Kolbohm and Cathal McWilliams helping Rock to take an unlikely 0-12 to 1-8 lead. Stewartstown looked to be in trouble, when referee Kevin Donnelly dismissed Gareth Devlin, but a Peter Armour goal sent them home with what could prove to be a very valuable win in the coming weeks.

Rock scorers - Conor McCreesh 0-9, Karl Kolbohm 0-2, Martin McCreesh 0-1, Cathal McWilliams 0-1

Stewartstown scorers - Peter Armour 1-2, Gareth Devlin 0-4, Cathal Devlin 1-0, Ryan Devlin 0-2

Brackaville and Pomeroy fought out a share of the spoils, at a saturated O’Brien Park on Thursday evening for a result that will please both teams.

Conn Gervin, Sean Corr and Che O’Donnell featured on the home score sheet, as Brackaville turned around for the second half 5-3 ahead. However, as the heavens opened both teams continued to struggle. Pomeroy registered five of the opening seven points on the restart to take an 8-7 lead, but just when the Plunkett’s looked like securing maximum points Corr carved out an equalising score on the stroke of full time to send both sets of players home with something for their exertions.

Brackaville scorers - Sean Corr 0-4, Conn Gervin 0-1, Che O’Donnell 0-1, Gary Ferguson 0-1

Pomeroy scorers - Hugh McNamee 0-2, Ollie McCreesh 0-2, Kevin Armstrong 0-1, Justin McCaffrey 0-1, Kieran McGeary 0-1, Aidan Cunningham 0-1