Moortown suffer defeat

Damien Crozier under pressure from Errigal Ciaran's Neil McGarvey during the championship game at Fr Peter Campbell Park, Coalisland INTT3412-213JS
Damien Crozier under pressure from Errigal Ciaran's Neil McGarvey during the championship game at Fr Peter Campbell Park, Coalisland INTT3412-213JS

Moortown 2-7 Edendork 2-11

After only two seasons back in the top flight Moortown will be playing Intermediate football again next season after losing this crucial clash of the St.Malachys at Ballinderry on Friday night.

The “home” side had enjoyed the perfect start to the game with Mark Crozier finding the net but Edendork responded with points from Sean Donnelly and Brian McGuckin.

It was the Loughshore men though who looked the better side at this stage and another major, this time from Peter Devlin, enabled them to lead 2-3 to 0-5 at the break.

Within three minutes of the restart Edendork had reduced the deficit to the minimum thanks to scores from Darren McCurry [2] and Paudie Donnelly before Tony Quinn opened Moortown’s second half account.

A flowing move then saw McCurry bag a superb goal and while Conor Herron responded with a couple of Moortown points the momentum was now with Edendork.

With a dozen minutes left to play midfielder Harry Og Conlon got his side’s third goal with Conor Mallon adding points either side of that strike as they ensured their safety for now.

Moortown scorers – Conor Herron 0-3, Mark Crozier 1-0, Peter Devlin 1-0, Tony Quinn 0-2, Ryan Kelly 0-1, Philip Muldoon 0-1

Edendork scorers – Darren McCurry 1-6, Harry Og Conlon 1-0, Conor Mallon 0-2, Sean Donnelly 0-1, Brian McGuckin 0-1, Paudie McGuckin 0-1

Kildress 1-15 Dromore 0-5

After Edendork’s win the night before the result of this Saturday afternoon encounter at Gortacladdy never really mattered but Kildress still picked up the points as expected against the visitors who fielded a Reserve side.

The Wolfe Tones led 0-9 to 0-4 at halftime with Des Treacy, Gabhan Treacy and Frank McGurk all contributing a brace of points each, Barry Collins and Colly McCrory on target for the St.Dympnas. Damian Kelly and Ciaran McCoy exchanged points on the restart but that score from the latter proved to be the visitors’ last of the contest.

The Wolfe Tones took control with a series of points from Martin Grimes, Paul Treacy, McGurk and Des Treacy before Shane Kelly put the icing on the cake with the only goal of the game five minutes from time.

Kildress now must travel to play Edendork in a sudden death play off between two sides who won promotion last season with the losers making a quick return to Intermediate ranks.

Kildress scorers – Des Treacy 0-3, Gabhan Treacy 0-3, Frank McGurk 0-3, Shane Kelly 1-0, Martin Grimes 0-2, Matthew Heagney 0-1, Niall Quinn 0-1, Damian Kelly 0-1, Paul Treacy 0-1

Dromore scorers – Ciaran McCoy 0-2, Barry Collins 0-1, Colm O’Neill 0-1, Colly McCrory 0-1

Trillick 0-10 Killyclogher 1-8

An early Barry McAleer goal ultimately proved to be the difference between the two sides as Killyclogher denied Trillick a third win on the trot in an end of season game were there was nothing on the line for either side.

McAleer struck with only five minutes gone on the clock after Eunan McAnespie and Leo Meenan had traded points.

Former County attacker Meenan then weighed in with another trio of scores as the St.Marys built on that early boost and while Richard Donnelly scored a couple for the St.Macartans it was the visitors who greeted the halftime whistle 1-6 to 0-4 in front.

Trillick made a great start to the second half with scores from Philip McGrade and the Donnelly brothers Richard and Mattie but they were never able to get on level terms.

Meenan and Simon O’Neill ensured that Killyclogher managed to just keep their noses in front and while Shane Gormley had the final say of the day for Trillick they missed late chances to secure at least a share off the spoils.

Trillick scorers – Richard Donnelly 0-4, Philip McGrade 0-2, Eunan McAnespie 0-1, Niall Gormley 0-1, Mattie Donnelly 0-1, Shane Gormley 0-1
Killyclogher scorers – Leo Meenan 0-5, Barry McAleer 1-0, Niall McFadden 0-1, Tiarnan Cox 0-1, Simon O’Neill 0-1

Coalisland 1-21 Eglish 2-5

Coalisland have gone through the regular league season without a blemish in their record as they made it fifteen wins from fifteen outings with an emphatic victory over Eglish at Father Campbell Park on Saturday afternoon.

It was a game that the Fianna were always in control of and they had the points safely in the bag by the short whistle after establishing a 1-12 to 0-1 lead. Midfielder Plunkett Kane got their goal with Paddy McNiece, Brian Toner and Stephen McNally among their points, Matthew Jordan with the St.Patricks’ sole response.

Within a coupe of minutes of the restart Eugene Daly had scored an Eglish goal but any thoughts of a comeback were quickly dispelled as the hosts continued to find the range at will.

Tiarnan O’Hagan, Jason Carberry, Kane, Eoghan Carberry and defender McNally all weighed in with points and while Martin McCann got a late Eglish goal it was only a consolation score at that stage.

Coalisland scorers – Plunkett Kane 1-3, Stephen McNally 0-4, Paddy McNiece 0-3, Brian Toner 0-3, Tiarnan O’Hagan 0-3, Gerard Toner 0-2, Eoghan Carberry 0-1, Philip Toner 0-1, Jason Carberry 0-1

Eglish scorers – Eugene Daly 1-0, Martin McCann 1-0, Matthew Jordan 0-2, Conal Martin 0-1, Gregory Jordan 0-1, Peter McCann 0-1

Carrickmore 1-11 Clonoe 3-10

This was another game were there was nothing to play for and that was reflected over the sixty minutes with referee Mickey McCarron from Fintona having one of his easiest afternoons in the middle in a contest that lacked a cutting edge.

The O’Rahillys made a bright start with leading marksman Conor McAliskey sending over a trio of points although the early highlight was a superb effort from Carrickmore’s Padraig Slane.

Dominic Canavan and Ryan T O’Neill added to Clonoe’s lead before McAliskey bagged a 28th minute goal to leave it 1-6 to 0-4 at halftime.

Mark Donnelly and Finbar Magill helped close the gap on the resumption before Stephen McNulty and Patrick Doris got their names on the score sheet for the O’Rahillys.

With ten minutes left to play County attacker Donnelly got a goal for the hosts but any hopes that they had of becoming only the second side to beat Clonoe in the league this season soon disappeared as Paul Coney scored two goals in quick succession to leave the points safe.

Carrickmore scorers – Mark Donnelly 1-3, Finbar Magill 0-4, Barry Daly 0-2, Padraig Slane 0-1, Conor Gormley 0-1

Clonoe scorers – Conor McAliskey 1-4, Paul Coney 2-1, Dominic Canavan 0-1, Ryan T O’Neill 0-1, Stephen McNulty 0-1, Patrick Doris 0-1, Colm Doris 0-1

Greencastle 3-13 Omagh 1-12

Greencastle ended their campaign on a high with an impressive display to get the better of an Omagh side who had nothing at stake having already secured their place in the league semi finals.

Mark Carson had a couple of points for the hosts early on but Omagh were looking the livelier side with Jason McAnulla, Conor O’Donnell and Joe McMahon all scoring as they established a lead.

Ryan Conway then scored an opportunist goal for Greencastle but moments later McAnulla responded with a major for the St.Endas to enable them to lead 1-7 to 1-4 at the turnover.

Halftime substitute Martin Conway was to have a major impact on the outcome of the game as Sean Teague’s side turned things around. He landed the first couple of scores and after half back Barry McGarvey joined the attack to register Ryan Conway grabbed his second goal of the afternoon

O’Donnell and Conan Grugan replied for the visitors but Greencastle had the bit between their teeth with Cathair McCullagh and Shane McCullagh supplying further points before a superb Sean Warnock goal put the issue beyond any doubt.

Greencastle scorers – Ryan Conway 2-0, Sean Warnock 1-1, Martin Conway 0-3, Cathair McCullagh 0-3, Mark Carson 0-2, Barry McGarvey 0-2, Shane McCullagh 0-1, John McCullagh 0-1

Omagh scorers – Jason McAnulla 1-4, Conor O’Donnell 0-3, Conan Grugan 0-2, Joe McMahon 0-2, Conor Starrs 0-1

Ardboe v Donaghmore [off]