Morgan fires Edendork into U21 grade one final

Edendork's Niall Morgan resists pressure from Eglish defender Johnny Jordan INTT2812-123JS
Edendork's Niall Morgan resists pressure from Eglish defender Johnny Jordan INTT2812-123JS

Edendork 4-14

Cookstown 1-19

It’s not often you score 1-19 and still lose a game but that’s what happened Cookstown U21s yesterday in their grade one semi final when they lost out to Edendork in a superb encounter at Eglish that required extra time to decide.

In the first attack of the game Niall Morgan scored a goal and that score still separated the two sides at the break, 1-5 to 0-6, after Darren McCurry, Owen O’Rourke, James McGahan and Matthew Carberry had notched points for their respective sides. The Father Rocks drew level on the resumption but back came Edendork with points from Morgan, McCurry and the O’Rourkes Owen and Jarlath. Cookstown though kept battling away and after Oisin McNia and Carberry had reduced the deficit a late equaliser from McGahan sent the game into extra time as it finished 1-10 to 0-13.

McGahan and Shea McGarrity helped push the Father Rocks in front within a couple of minutes of the start of extra time but then Edendork hit a purple patch that yielded them 3-3 without reply with Morgan scoring a brace of goals and Owen O’Rourke also finding the net.

Edendork managed only an Eoin Mannelly point in the second period of extra time but as it turned out they had done enough with Tom Mullan’s late goal for Cookstown only of consolation value.

Edendork scorers – Niall Morgan 3-4, Owen O’Rourke 1-2, Darren McCurry 0-3, Eoin Maneelly 0-2, Jarlath O’Rourke 0-1, Stephen Gervin 0-1, Rhys Murtagh 0-1

Cookstown scorers – James McGahan 0-8, Matthew Carberry 0-5, Tom Mullan 1-0, Oisin McNia 0-2, Shea McGarrity 0-1, Ryan Owens 0-1, John McKeever 0-1, Eoin Coyle 0-1

Derrylaughan 2-15

Dungannon 2-6

Derrylaughan made it into the grade Two U21 decider when they had an emphatic nine point win over Dungannon at Eglish yesterday afternoon.

This was a game that was expected to go right to the wire but after limiting their opponents to just one first half point Derrylaughan never looked back as they assumed control. The Kevin Barrys raced into a 1-4 to 0-0 lead with Stephen McGrath and Liam Gervin hitting points either side of a James Kennedy major. Keifer Morgan finally opened the Clarkes’ account but a second goal this time from the boot of Mark Robinson left the Kevin Barrys well on top at the break leading 2-5 to 0-1.

McGrath and Gervin increased the winners’ advantage on the resumption before Morgan scored again for Dungannon. Conor McCann and the inform Gervin registered again before Dungannon were given a glimmer of hope when Colm Corrigan found the net. Derrylaughan refused to panic though with Conor Kennedy, McGrath, Mattie O’Neill and Gervin all adding further points and while Morgan converted a penalty after Corrigan had been fouled it came too late in the day to save them.

Derrylaughan scorers – Liam Gervin 0-8, Stephen McGrath 0-3, James Kennedy 1-0, Mark Robinson 1-0, Conor McCabe 0-2, Conor Kennedy 0-1, Mattie O’Neill 0-1

Dungannon scorers – Keifer Morgan 1-3, Colm Corrigan 1-0, Patrick Quinn 0-1, Sean McBride 0-1

Eskra 0-11 Ardboe 0-10

Eskra came from two points down in the closing stages to pick up a superb win over prematch favourites Ardboe to make it through to a final shoot out with Derrylaughan.

Eskra were lively early on with Thomas Meehan and Conor O’Hagan among their points with Shay McGuigan and the Wylies Thomas and Mark responding for the Rossas. With the sides level Eskra were warded a penalty but Niall Marlow blasted his spot kick high and over the bar. Two successful frees from the boot of McGuigan coupled with an effort from play from Mark Wylie saw the Loughshore side come from one down to lead by two with time running out.

There was to be a sting in the tail though from the Emmetts with Aaron Kelly, Marlow and Meehan all registering points with Ardboe’s some reply coming from McGuigan, who finished with a creditable half a dozen points to his name.

Eskra scorers – Thomas Meegan 0-3, Aaron Kelly 0-3, Conor O’Hagan 0-3, Niall Marlow 0-2

Ardboe scorers – Shay McGuigan 0-6, Mark Wylie 0-2, Thomas Wylie 0-1, Barry Devlin 0-1

Beragh 2-7

Loughmacrory 1-8

Beragh retained their grade three U21 title when they held off a determined challenge from Loughmacrory at Dunmoyle yesterday afternoon to emerge two point winners.

The holders got off to the best possible start with an early goal from Eddie Molloy but that score only served to get Loughmacrory going. Niall Donaghy and Niall Grimes both recorded points to level matters but disaster struck for them again when Beragh’s second score of the afternoon also proved to be a goal this time from Hugh Franey.

Things got worse for the St.Theresas when they had Niall Donaghy sent off by Augher referee Dermott Monaghan and after Christopher Devlin and Cormac Nugent had exchanged points it was Beragh who led by double scores at the short whistle, 2-2 to 0-4.

Loughmacrory came out for the second half with all guns blazing and within ten minutes they had turned a four point deficit into a two point lead thanks to points from Kevin Collins and Niall Grimes either side of a Nugent major. Despite being down to fourteen men things were looking good for Loughmacrory at that stage but they were to score just one more point as Beragh regrouped.

Two points from midfielder Devlin levelled the argument and with the momentum now in their favour they pushed on for victory with points from Niall Owens and Ruairi Caffrey.

Beragh scorers – Christopher Devlin 0-4, Eddie Molloy 1-1, Hugh Franey 1-0, Niall Owens 0-1, Ruairi Caffrey 0-1

Loughmacrory scorers – Cormac Nugent 1-2, Kevin Collins 0-3, Niall Grimes 0-2, Niall Donaghy 0-1