Stewartsown Harps GAC

Share this article

The senior team are back in Championship action this Friday night when we head to Healy Park, Omagh to take on Augher in the quarter finals at 7pm. This is sure to be a very tough game and all support would be appreciated for the team. Good luck to the players and management for the game.

Our 2011 Og Sport side travelled to Glen, Maghera on Saturday as Tyrone champions to represent the county in the Ulster series of the competition. We were drawn in the group with Slaughneil from Derry and Newry Shamrocks from Down.

We played the Derry lads first and in what was a power packed display, we were easily on top and won the game on a scoreline of 5-8 to 0-5. We were straight back in action again against the Down champions. The Newry side were unbeaten in two years within their county but they found our play just too quick and we won the game by 9 points 4-2 to 1-2, meaning we topped the group but we knew that we hadn’t seen the last of the Down lads.

And so it proved as they qualified as best runners up and we were drawn to face them again in the semi finals. The long wait between the two games seemed to hamper our lads as we just couldn’t get into our stride and a Macauley Quinn free kick sent the game to extra time. The extra 8 minutes of extra time were end to end again and Mark Rooney was our hero this time fisting the equaliser to send the game to a ‘next score wins’ scenario.

Both teams had chances to win it but it was Macauley Quinn who picked up a ball and drove through the Newry defence and put the ball over the bar to send us into the final to the delight of our large band of supporters.

Donaghmoyne from Monaghan stood in our way and the big worry was had the extra 12 minutes football taken too much of a toll on our players? But the lads were not to be denied an Ulster title as they totally blew the Monaghan lads away to win the final by 4-11 to 1-6. There were joyous scenes as Macauley Quinn accepted the trophy. This was a great achievement by this group of players and big thanks must go to them for their effort throughout the Tyrone competition and then on Saturday. Thanks to managers Gerard Donnelly and Rory O’Neill and also to all the supporters who travelled to support the lads. Thanks to the club for the T- shirts the squad received. The history making squad of players are Paddy Bleeks, Callum Burke, Darren Devlin, Shea Devlin, John Lee, Macauley Quinn, Tiernan Rushe, Shea O’Neill, Mark Rooney and Jason Parke. Well done boys.

The seniors and reserves completed their league campaign on Saturday at home to Urney. Unfortunately Urney never fielded a reserve side, but the senior game was a very high scoring and entertaining game which we won by a point. 3-16 to 4-12 the final score.

So our Intermediate status has been secured for next year.

The reserve team travelled to Gortin on Monday night for their championship first round. Played in awful conditions and on a very soggy pitch, scores were very hard to come by for both teams but it was Gortin who led at the break by 0-7 to 0-1.

A much improved effort in the second half just came up short and despite a goal by James Kelly, we just couldn’t reel in the half time deficit and we were defeated by 3 points. Final score Gortin 0-10, Harps 1-4. This ends the reserve season and a big thanks to Adrian Devlin, Rory O’Neill and Paul Fitzgerald for their help with the team.

Hopefully with the injection of some new players next year, we can be challenging at the top of the league.

The minors played their league quarter final replay versus Greencastle on Monday past and unfortunately the lads came out on the wrong end of a narrow defeat.

This concludes the minor season for the year. Thanks to the players for their efforts and also to the managers Anthony Quinn, Ryan O’Neill, Sean Gallagher and Paul Fitzgerald for the work they put in.

The U16s played Trillick in the league quarter final on the new field at Mullaghmoyle on Sunday evening. Right from the start, the young Harps looked to be in control and goals from Macauley Quinn and Dan Lowe secured the win on a 4-15 to 2-11.

This Saturday, the championship quarter final takes place at home to Dromore. This will be another tough game for the lads and all support would be appreciated. Throw in is at 12.00. Good luck to players and management.

The U13 league began on Friday with the lads securing a comfortable win away at Rock. The lads have a bye this week.

Speedy recovery to Andrew Mitchell who suffered a nasty shoulder injury in the reserve championship game.