Tyrone GAA club round up

Cookstown 2-6 Galbally 1-9

Cookstown’s winning streak came to an end at Galbally on Saturday evening when Paul Rafferty kicked an injury time 45 to earn a point for the hosts.

At the end of the opening quarter it looked likely that Galbally would inflict a second 2012 league defeat on the Father Rocks, as they led 0-5 to 0-1 with a numerical advantage following the dismissal of Jason Quinn on the 14th minute, for a second yellow card.

Marty Murray opened the scoring for Cookstown, before Galbally kicked five unanswered points. Mickey Murphy started the spree with Paul Rafferty and Adian McElroy adding scores shortly afterwards. Rafferty then kicked two points in as many minutes.

When Cookstown, who were also missing key personnel, went to 14 men, it looked like an uphill struggle for them, but they dug deep and a foul on Connor O’Hare on the 19th minute resulted in a Cookstown penalty. John Gilmore made no mistake from the spot to bring his side back into the game.

Paul Rafferty and Brian Mulligan exchanged impressive points before Cookstown took the lead on the 25th minute, when a high ball launched in from Murray resulted in Gilmore rising high and flicking to the net.

Their lead was short lived as the hosts hit the net in the next attack with Rafferty the finisher, after an excellent move. Just before the short whistle, Rafferty brought his first half tally to 1-4 with another excellent point to see his side lead 1-7 to 2-2.

By the 11th minute of the second half Cookstown drew level through points from Connor O’Hare and a courageous but rare outside of the boot attempt from half back Paddy Kelly.

Rafferty then opened Galbally’s second half account on the 46th minute. Paddy Kelly drove forward and scored again to make it level and when Owen Mulligan turned inside his marker and stroked over the bar on the 57th minute it looked like Cookstown could hold on for the win.

Galbally launched one final attack, deep into injury time, and after a high ball launched in, it was flicked out wide, with some confusion at first, before the referee awarded the hosts a debatable 45. Rafferty stepped forward and watched as it sailed straight over the black spot to secure a deserved point for his side.

Galbally scorers - Paul Rafferty 1-7, Mickey Murphy 0-1, Adian McElroy 0-1

Cookstown Scorers - John Gilmore 2-0, Paddy Kelly 0-2, Brian Mulligan 0-1, Connor O’Hare 0-1, Owen Mulligan 0-1, Marty Murray 0-1

Derrytresk 2-9 Strabane 2-8

Derrytresk bounced back from defeat last week to shock second place Strabane with a last minute goa to keep them in contention for the play-off.

It was 0-6 to 1-3 at half time with Strabane’s goal coming from John McLaughlin. Joe McKee, Kevin Quinn and Gavin kicked six first half points between them for Derrytresk.

JP Gallagher and Warner Mullan points gave Strabane the lead, but Niall Gavin responded with his side’s first major to add to a point from McKee and leave it all level.

Strabane’s Martin Mongan replied with a Sigerson’s goal after points from the home side’s Cathal O’Neill, and it looked like the visitors had secured all two points when they had scores from Kieran O’Kane and Rauri McElroy.

However, Derrytresk’s never say die attitude saw Gavin presented with a goal opportunity and he made no mistake to secure all two points and bring his own personal tally to 2-3 for the evening.

Derrytresk scorers - Niall Gavin 2-3, Joe McKee 0-3, Cathal O’Neill 0-2, Kevin Quinn 0-1

Moy 0-18 Stewartstown 2-9

Moy hosted Stewartstown on Saturday evening and, after a very entertaining game of football, it was the hosts who picked up all two points thanks to kicking an impressive thirteen second half points.

Moy trailed at the break by seven points as Gareth Devlin once again proved the threat he is, scoring 1-4 in the first half. James Kelly also hit an early couple of points.

Scores from Eunan Denney, Chris Kavanagh, Phillip Jordan and Colm Cavanagh helped keep Moy in the game after Devlin’s 24th minute goal, but they received a further sucker punch in first half injury time as Ronan O’Neill struck for a Harps goal to see them lead 2-6 to 0-5 at the break.

A Ryan Mellon-inspired Moy hit back in style in the second half, with Mellon contributing three points in-between scores from Jordan, Cavanagh, Deeney, Carol McQuaide and Conall Lavery, before Devlin and Kelly responded for the Harp’s.

Moy finished the game the strongest, with points from Mark McConville, Deeney and a couple from the outstanding Ryan O’Neill, to push back into second place in the league.

Moy scorers - Colm Cavanagh 0-3, Ryan Mellon 0-3, Eunan Denney 0-3, Ryan O’Neill 0-2, Phillip Jordan 0-2, Mark McConville 0-2, Carol McQuaide 0-1, Chris Kavanagh 0-1, Conall Lavery

Stewartstown scorers - Gareth Devlin 1-6, James Kelly 0-3, Ronan O’Neill 1-0

Pomeroy 1-10 Augher 1-9

Pomeroy bounced back from last week’s defeat to Rock and record a one point home victory over Augher.

The Plunketts led by four going into the last five minutes, but it took a Steven McKenna point two minutes from time to secure all two points.

Augher opened a 3-1 advantage by the 15th minute with points from Jamie Donnelly and Marty McElhatton, with Justy McCaffery on target for the Plunketts.

Sean Murphy hit for an 18th minute goal to give Pomeroy the lead for the first time. McCaffery, Murphy and Hugh McNamee all added points before Donnelly pulled one back on the 29th minute.

Sean Quinn made it 1-6 to 0-4 at half time with a point in first half injury time. Both teams exchanged the opening six points of the half with Adian McElroy on target twice for Augher, in-between a McCaffery and Hugh Pat McGeary point.

Donnelly added for Augher before Quinn and Adian Cunningham give Pomeroy a four point lead with five minutes left.

McElroy launched an Augher comeback with a goal on the 26th minute, and immediately after Donnelly kicked what could have been the equalising score, but it wasn’t to be, as McKenna kicked a deserved winner for the Plunketts, setting them up nicely for their championship clash with Loughmacrory next weekend.

Pomeroy scorers - Sean Murphy 1-1, Justy McCaffery 0-3, Sean Quinn 0-2, Hugh Pat McGeary 0-1, Steven McKenna 0-1, Hugh McNamee 0-1, Adian Cunningham 0-1

Augher scorers - Jamie Donnelly 0-6, Adian McElroy 1-2, Marty McElhatton 0-1

Rock 0-7 Gortin 0-8

Rock’s habit of win one, lose one, continued on Saturday when they shockingly went down by a point at home to a Gortin side picking up only their third win of the campaign.

Rock, who once again fielded understrength, struggled to cope with Gortin’s pacey attack in the first half and after Connor McCreesh opened the scoring in the 5th minute they wouldn’t register the rest of the half.

Kevin Mossey and Gavin Trainer had a brace of points each at half time, added to points from Diarmuid McNulty and Ciaran McGarvey, to give Gortin a 0-6 to 0-1 lead at the short whistle.

Rock improved in the second half and tagged it back to 6-6, with Connor McCreesh, Rory McVey, Cathal McWilliams and Tommy Bloomer all on target.

McNulty regained Gortin’s lead, but Bloomer with his second in a row, left it level again.

Gortin substitute Barry McCrory proved to be the hero, kicking the winning point to secure a very valuable two points for his side.

Rock scorers - Connor McCreesh 0-3, Tommy Bloomer 0-2, Cathal McWilliams 0-1, Rory McVeigh 0-1

Aghyaran 1-17 Killeeshil 0-10

Killeeshil made the long journey to Aghyaran on Saturday evening and, after another heavy defeat coupled with suprising wins for Clan Na Gael and Gortin, the St. Marys will now find themselves relegated back into Division 3 for the 2013 campaign - unless they take the great escape route Killyman achieved,and somehow manage to win the intermediate championship.

Aghyaran scored the opening four points of the game with Michael Anderson kicking three to add to Ronan McNamee’s opener.

Kevin Hughes opened the visitor’s account, but a short time later Chris McGrath grabbed a major for Aghyaran to open a six point lead.

Hughes and Ciaran Bannon traded points with Anderson and Sean Burren before Killeeshil hit the final two scores of the half through Eoin Donaghy and Rory McCann to leave it 1-6 to 0-5.

Packie McMullan and Hughes had the opening two points for Killeeshil, but bounced back the hosts with four unanswered through Burren, Brian McHugh and a brace from Anthony Devine.

McMullan registered for the visitors before Aghyaran kicked four unanswered, this time shared between Anderson and Devine.

McMullan and Bannon pulled a couple back but it was the St Davogs who picked up two valuable points.

Killeeshil scorers - Packie McMullan 0-3, Kevin Hughes 0-3, Ciaran Bannon 0-2, Rory McCann 0-1, Eoin Donaghy 0-1

Eskra 1-11 Loughmacrory 0-10

Eskra picked up their fourth win of the season at home to Loughmacrory on Saturday evening in a game billed as a four pointer with Eskra now steering closer from the relegation quagmire at the bottom.

Shane Hackett kicked 1-3 in the first half for the hosts, as they had a commanding 1-9 to 0-3 lead at half time.

Peter Hughes, Paul Meghan and Marlow brothers, Paul and Niall, amongst the first half scorers for the Emmets.

Loughmacrory made a game of it in the second half, outscoring the home side 0-7 to 0-2 as Eskra had watched Joe McCaroll harshly dismissed for two yellows late in the first half after he had scored a point.

A brace of points from Mattie Turbett in the second half ensured Eskra held on for a deserved victory.

Eskra scorers - Shane Hackett 1-3, Peter Hughes 0-2, Mattie Turbett 0-2, Paul Meghan 0-1, Paul Marlow 0-1, Niall Marlow 0-1, Joe McCaroll 0-1