Killymoon settle for a point against Queens

Killymoon Rangers 2

Queens University 2

KILLYMOON Rangers entertained Queens University at the Mid Ulster Sports Arena Cookstown on Saturday, and had to settle for a share of the points in a 2-2 draw.

Killymoon started the match on the front foot, and looked the better of the two sides, in the opening minutes of the match, Warren Smith had a shot from the edge of the box saved.

Queens had a free kick 30 yards out,

James Lavery’s shot hit the wall, and Michael Brown saved the follow up shot. Killymoon had a free kick cleared, and Barrie Kelly had a shot wide, after a throw was laid back to him. Gerard Moore had a shot over, after a Killymoon throw was partially cleared. On 27 minutes Queens took the lead, a misplaced header in defence fell kindly to Johnny Maybin, who scored.

His shot going in off the post. Killymoon responded immediately, with Barrie Kelly almost getting on the end of a through ball, Gerard Duff in the Queens goal, beating Barrie to the ball, and Barrie was almost in a second time in the space of a few minutes, this time from a pass from Gerard Moore. Johnny Young got in on the act with a shot deflected for a corner. Barrie Kelly had a shot saved before Killymoon equalized on 37 minutes.

A Michael Brown free kick, was headed on by Johnny Young, and Marc Harkness scored with a low shot into the bottom corner of the net, for a well deserved equalizer. Roma, Killymoons young French player, was fouled on the edge of the box, Johnny Youngs free kick went just over the bar. Queens had a chance in the dying minutes of the half, with a home defender lying injured, they played on and thankfully they were unable to convert the left wing cross.

Queens had a free kick on the edge of the circle, a scramble in the box, before they managed a shot, which went over. Gerard Duff was called on to deal with a throw in under pressure from Stephen Purvis. Queens broke, but the home defence got back to clear, all in a frantic opening to the second half.

Warren Smith had a shot wide for Killymoon, and James Lavery rattle the outside of the Killymoon post, with a free kickfrom 23 yards out on 53 minutes. Warren Smith went on a run before setting up strike partner Roma, who saw his shot cleared for a throw in.

Barrie Kellys throw was headed on, and Roma headed in at the back post to give killymoon the lead on 55 minutes.

Queens’ Paul McDonald saw his shot go wide before Gerard Duff was called on again to deal with another throw. Roma was in on goal, the Queens defence managed to put the ball out for a corner, Stephen Purvis headed wide from the corner.

The game was end to end with Queens looking for an equalizer, and Killymoon hitting them on the break, looking for the third goal. Barrie Kelly had a cross cleared, and Gerard Moores follow up shot went over the bar.

Marc Harkness almost had a second, he saw his shot spilled by Duff on his near post, before he gathered it at the second attempt.

Johnny Young had a run at the Queens defence, before his shot was blocked. Johnny Maybin for Queens had a shot cleared by the Killymoon defence. Good play between Young, Smith and Roma for Killymoon ended when Duff saved a shot from Roma. Marc Harkness put Johnny Young in on goal, Duff saved the shot at the expense of a corner.

Stephen Purvis had a header go agonisingly wide, from the corner. Queens went up the field, broke the Killymoon offside trap and James Lavery headed in the right wing cross, to make it 2-2 on 75 minutes. Queens put Killymoon under pressure in search of a winner, but Killymoon managed to hold on and could have taken all three poits themselves. James Lavery hit the bar, following a mix up in the home defence, who finally managed to clear their lines. On 85 minutes Simon Kerr came on for Johnny Young and almost made an instant impact.

On 86 minutes, from a Barrie Kelly corner, Simon Kerr saw his header just go past the far post.

A minute later Gerard Duff in the Queens goal turned Barrie Kelly’s goal bound shot over the bar.

A Queens free kick on 90 minutes just outside the box was cleared, and late in stoppage time Killymoon had a chance to take all three points. Jason Ferry cleared his lines, and sent Simon Kerr clean through on goal, unfortunately for the home team, Simon’s shot failed to hit the target, and the score remained 2-2.

Killymoon Rangers; M Brown, J Scott, J Ferry, S Mc Elhatton, S Purvis, G Moore, B Kelly, M Harkness, W Smith, R Fumard, J Young. Subs; S Kerr, R Greer, D Millar, D Campbell, G Stewart.