Big win for Rainey ES as Nicholl scores brace

Vincent Doyle Cup winning captain from Rainey Endowed School
Vincent Doyle Cup winning captain from Rainey Endowed School

Rainey ES played Larne Grammar on Saturday and, for the third week in succession, all teams recorded wins.

The ’P Keenan Road Surfacing’ sponsored 1st XV travelled to Larne and again played in near perfect conditions.Again the team put in a very good performance to record their fifth win of the season.

With Timmy Shiels and Neal Hastings doing some damage up front, Rainey got themselves close to the Larne line. After some good approach work Samuel Hawe crossed for the first score. Kieran Lynch kicked the conversion to give Rainey a 7-0 lead. This score seemed to settle the Magherafelt boys, with a second score following almost immediately. With Larne on the attack, Andrew Brown read their play intelligently to intercept a pass and run 60 metres to touch down.

Rainey were now playing some impressive rugby. Kieran Lynch and David McClelland were both causing the home defence problems. The pack was also dominant and from a series of drives Conal Murphy broke a number of tackles to touch down.

Samuel Hawe used his strength to bounce a tackler and power over the line and, just before halftime, Rainey scored their fifth try; Cameron Noble read a line move perfectly and intercepted a pass. He ran 50 metres before being hauled down just short. When the ball was recycled Scott Campbell was on hand to find Andrew Nicholl with a fine pass. Andrew touched down in the corner.

Larne, however, gave the Rainey defence something to think about when they scored.

Timmy Andrews made a strong run, which was supported by Mark Allingham. Mark created a space for Cameron Noble to attack and when Cameron was tackled he passed inside to Rory Nicholl who touched down.

Rainey scored their seventh try when Rigan Sanderson broke free. He found Matthew Mulholland in support who fed Rory Nicholl. Rory sprinted clear to score his second try. Kieran Lynch kicked the conversion to give Rainey a 41-5 win.

The boys have won 5 of their first 6 matches which is a very encouraging start to the season and are what the players deserve considering all the hard work they have put in on the training pitch.

The ‘Quinn’s Coach Hire’ sponsored Rainey 2nd XV travelled to Larne in the hope of earning their first away win of the season and making it three wins on the bounce in their last three games.

Rainey began the game in a much undisciplined fashion, giving away 3 penalties in the first 5 minutes of play.

This appeared to be the jump start Rainey needed as they immediately pegged Larne into their own half from the restart. The Rainey forwards had multiple attempts at “the old fashioned way” of bruising their way over the line from 5 metres out, but eventually it was scrum half Lorcan Quinn who eventually unlocked the Larne defence, showing quick feet to wriggle between 2 tacklers for the score. He converted his own try to make it 7-3 to Rainey.

Larne then had a spell of 10 minutes in the Rainey half, but Rainey eventually relieved the pressure by winning the ball back against the head in a scrum. The Rainey forwards, led by Captain Andrew Conway, were carrying the ball well and making yards, and it was their hard work which created an overlap out wide which the backs took advantage of to send John McKay over in the corner.

This brought a scrappy, penalty filled first half to an end. The second half began much as the first half ended with both sides giving away penalties and turning the ball over all too easily. Eventually, the Rainey forward pack started the reassert their dominance on the game and after a series of pick and goes on the Larne try line, a Rainey forward had the ball ripped off him by a Larne player, only for the quick reactions of Mark Allingham to rip the ball back from Larne and dot the ball down for a try.

John McKay went over in the corner for his second try of the game to make the final score 22-3.

The‘Cunningham Covers’ and ‘AC Engineering (Magherafelt)’ sponsored Rainey Endowed Medallion Squad where at home again to try and get their third consecutive victory.

Rainey came away with a comprehensive 53-0 win. This wasn’t only a third consecutive win, but a third game without conceding a point. Tries came from Todd Smyth (3), Mark Mulholland (2), Adam Patrick, Adam Currie, James Cunningham and Andrew Hawe. Adam Patrick kicked 4 conversions.

In the U14 game, the match was scoreless until the 10th minute when Adam Thornton took the ball from a penalty and carried it over the line. The conversion was put over the bar by David Lennox.

Rainey continued to press until and just a few minutes before half time, Adam Thornton put the ball down on the line for his second try of the day.

Unfortunately, Rainey was weakened just before half time with Ben Gibson-Griffin limping off the field.

Larne started the second half strongly and it wasn’t long before they broke through the Rainey defence to land a try. Larne continued to press for the next ten minutes and managed to score another try between the posts to bring the game level.

Martin Mc Nulty made a brilliant run from his own half, beating all the Larne side to score the try that would win it for Rainey. The final score was 19-12 to Rainey.

In the U13 game Rainey defeated Larne Grammar 36-7 in an open and entertaining game, scoring six tries and converting three of them. Bryan Hall opened the scoring before Jack Bresland powered across the line. Ciaran Doyle, Karl Warner and Bryn Davies also got tries before Bresland got his second. A great all-round performance keeps the Under 13s unbeaten after 5 games.

This Saturday’s fixtures are against RBAI. The U13A, U13B and Medallion are away. The 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XVs are at home at 10am. The U14A and U14B are also at home, playing in a triangular tournament with RBAI and King Edward VI School, Stratford-upon-Avon. The tournament kicks off at 11.30am. All support welcome.