Rainey ES fight back in close contest with Dalriada

Rainey Endowed School Rugby Office Bearers for the 2013-14 season  Kieran Lynch (Captain) and David McClelland (Vice-Captain)
Rainey Endowed School Rugby Office Bearers for the 2013-14 season Kieran Lynch (Captain) and David McClelland (Vice-Captain)

Rainey ES travelled to Ballymoney to play Dalriada.

In beautiful conditions Rainey started strongly and went on the attack immediately. After a sweeping back move, left winger Rory Nicholl was stopped in the corner. Rainey, however, quickly recycled the ball and after two phases Eunan Shaw went over under the posts. Kieran Lynch converted to give Rainey a deserved 7-0 lead.

Dalriada scored with about 10 minutes remaining of the half.

With Rainey deep within their own half, centre David McClelland made a strong run out of defence. Kieran Lynch then attacked on the blindside, chipped and collected the ball. He fed Rory Nicholl in support, who made ground into the oppositions half. When the ball came back to Lynch he kicked cleverly to the corner, were Mark Rooney was on hand to score a try. The conversion was missed but Rainey led 12-5 at half time.

Rainey began the second half on the offensive. Dalriada conceded a penalty and Lynch converted to make it 15-5. Up front Timmy Andrrews, Conor Brennan and Stephen McAuley were doing great work for the Magherafelt boys. Dalriada now had to chase the game and came at Rainey strongly.

Although Mark Kavanagh was dominating the lineouts and Samuel Hawe was throwing immaculately, Dalriada obtained a good attacking position from which they scored a try to make it 15-10. Andrew Nicholl then did some brave defensive work to stop a Dalriada try. But, unfortunately with momentum with them Dalriada forced another try to make it 15-15.

Rainey made a few naive decisions in their own 22, which meant that they couldn’t clear their lines. From a penalty Dalriada took the lead for the first time, 18-15.

Although the Magherafelt boys attacked for the remainder of the game they could not find another score. The game finished 18-15 in Dalriada’s favour. This was another fine attacking performance from Rainey. However, improvements need to be made when deep in their own half.

Rainey 2nd XV also travelled to Dalriada in search of their first win of the season after narrowly losing out to Regent House.

Rainey got off to the worst possible start after their restart went straight into touch and from the ensuing scrum proceeded to miss 4 tackles and concede a try under the posts after only 2 minutes of the game.

The first half continued to be scrappy with many errors on both sides. After a stern word about the importance of keeping the ball and two substitutions at half time, Rainey started the 2nd half much brighter and immediately camped themselves inside the Dalriada half.

Rainey eventually forced their way over the line with some hard running from George Turkington, however, the referee adjudged the ball to have been held up. The pressure eventually told when, from a scrum, Calvin Smyth picked the ball from the base, ran at the first man, before offloading superbly to Neal Hastings who stretched to slam the ball down over the line. Rainey pushed and pushed to get the all-important next try, but to no avail. The game finished with Dalriada as 10-5 winners.

The Medallion played Dalriada at home and again put in an encouraging performance, although they lost 24-0.

Rainey Endowed U14A team met a strong Dalriada side at home. Despite a strong defensive effort from Rainey in the second half, Dalriada won 24-7. Rainey U14Bs also lost out 19-5 winners.

The U13A team who 19-5 with Karl Warner playing a starring role. The U13Bs came in second in a 28-7 contest. Mention must go to Zac McMenemy who put in a man of the match performance.

On Saturday 28th September Rainey host Foyle and L’Derry College. This is part of the Tercentenary Celebrations. The Medallion, U14s and U13s kick off at 10.00am. The 1st XV and 2nd XV kick off at 11.15am. All support is welcome.