Rugby: Conway is hat trick hero as Rainey Endowed School emphatic winners over Cambridge House

Rainey ES U14 Squad after the Cambridge House game with coaches A McGowan and J Robinson.
Rainey ES U14 Squad after the Cambridge House game with coaches A McGowan and J Robinson.

The ’P Keenan Road Surfacing’ sponsored Rainey Endowed 1st XV travelled to Ballymena to play Cambridge House.

Rainey took a little time to settle making many uncustomary handling errors. However, Anton Lupari and Eunan Shaw both helped settle things. They both made incisive runs through the home defence setting up Andrew Conway who scored close to the posts. Kieran Lynch converted to make it 7-0.

It was Eunan who got the second try. From an excellent lineout take from Neal Hastings, Eunan stormed through a number of tackles and then showed great feet to beat the full back and touch down. Kieran converted to make it 14-0.

From a missed touch, fullback Mark Rooney counter attacked. After making good ground he found David McClelland, who displayed great skill in setting up Rory Nicholl to make it 19-0. The visitors now started to relax, putting some good phases of play together.

Scott Campbell started a fine move to set up Rainey’s fourth try. He made good progress before feeding Mark Allingham in support. When Mark was stopped, Kieran Lynch was on hand to cut through the home defence and touch down. He converted his own try to increase the lead to 26-0.

The half time whistle went with Rainey firmly in control. Rainey made seven changes at the break giving players the opportunity to see what they could do at this level. Once they got settled Rainey went on the offensive. A powerful run from Conal Murphy led to the next try. He crashed through a number of defenders, and then passed to Andrew Brown. When Andrew saw that Andrew Conway was free he found him with a lovely pass to put him over for his second try. Kieran converted to extend the score to 33-0.

Rainey then took their eye of the ball for a moment and Cambridge House capitalised scoring close to the posts. They converted to close the score to 33-7. This score seemed to rock the Rainey side and for a period of time they struggled to get any rhythm.

Mark Rooney got on the end of a well-executed move started by Rigan Sanderson. Rigan created great space and timed his pass to send Mark over the line. Kieran converted again to make the score 40-7.

To their credit, Cambridge House came back at Rainey, catching the Magherafelt boys of guard to score to quick tries. The score now read 40-17. A shell shocked Rainey knew they needed an immediate response to dampen the Cambridge House spirit.

Good hands found Cameron Noble on the left wing and Cameron made good ground to set up attacks. Lorcan Quinn was pushing his forwards onward trying to get them into a good attacking position. Powerful running from Mark Kavanagh set up Rainey’s seventh try. He got in behind the home defence and when stopped Wallace Bruce ensured clean was won for Andrew Conway to score his third try. Lynch converted and the score was increased to 47-17.

With the game drawing to a close smart play by Sam Hawe set up a chance for Andrew Nicholl, but he was bundled into touch just short of the line. From the resultant lineout, Mark Kavanagh stole a great ball. Conor Stobo drove it close to the Cambridge House line and when the ball came back Andrew Nicholl was on hand to touch down.

This proved to be the final play of the game which Rainey had won 52-17. Another comprehensive victory for a Rainey side that can put some excellent phases of play together and score some super tries.

Cambridge House 14

Rainey ES Medallion 17

The’ Cunningham Covers’ and ‘AC Engineering (Magherafelt)’ sponsored Rainey Endowed Medallion had a short trip to Cambridge House in what was sure to be a thriller.

With a fairly even match underway, Cambridge House managed to power over the line numerous times only to be held-up. Then Cambridge had a break through and managed to rumble over and scored a converted try.

This woke the Rainey Medallion and with some good forward play in the middle of the pitch give the backs a chance to impress. They came within touching distance of the line, only to get brought down. Then the forwards made hard yards which allowed Mark Mulholland to score a well worked try. Rainey went into half time 7-7 and knew it was all to play for in the next 30 minutes.

With play inside Rainey’s half, Adam Patrick ran a brilliant line, broke the Cambridge defence and managed to score under the posts. With Cambridge shaken now, Rainey knew they had the win if the could hold on to their marginal lead.

With numerous charge-downs Rainey managed to contain Cambridge within their own twenty-two for a long period off time. Rainey then managed to turn-over ball and win a penalty on the twenty-two which Adam Patrick successfully kicked. Cambridge didn’t give up and with ten minutes remaining got another converted try to breach the gap to a narrow 3 points.

With the referee having called final play, Rainey gave away a penalty on their own ten meter line. Cambridge had no other choice but to kick for posts to try and secure a draw. Cambridge missed and Rainey sealed a brilliant away win by kicking the ball into touch. A brilliant team performance! Tries came from Mark Mulholland and Adam Patrick. Adam Patrick also converted both tries and kicked a penalty.

Rainey ES U14 44

Cambridge House U14 12

Rainey ES Under 14s hosted Cambridge House. In the opening minutes of the game, Rainey got off to a great start with a try by Matthew Smyth. Matthew then got another try shortly afterwards to make the score 10-0.

Martin McNulty then showed his pace by scoring two tries out wide. This increased the Rainey lead to 20-0. Just before half time Cambridge House scored to make the halftime score 20-7 to Rainey.

In the second half Adam Thornton powered over from a scrum and Matthew Smyth converted to make it 27-7. Adam Thornton then got his second try of the game to make it 32-7. Martin McNulty completed his hatrick of tries and the score was now extended to 37-7. Cambridge House reverted to a kicking game but Michael McIvor-New dealt with all kicks superbly.

Matthew McGurk completed the Rainey try scoring by running through a number of tackles to score under the posts. Matthew Smyth converted to make it 44-7. Cambridge House scored a late try to make the final score 44-12.

Rainey ES U13 40

Cambridge House U13 15

Rainey Under 13s hosted Cambridge House in an exciting game of rugby. Rainey received the kick and quickly started pressing forward.

There were a few phases of play before the first try which came from a brilliant offload from Karl Warner were David Dripps placed the ball on the right corner.

About five minutes later Rainey was on the attack again. Ciaran Doyle made a run and got tackled 10 meters before the try line. A quick pass from Tim Campbell out to Karl Warner and then to David Dripps saw another try this time on the left corner.

As Cambridge pressed high up the pitch Rainey were put under pressure but a counter ruck saw the danger away and it set up Aiden McDonald for Rainey’s 3rd try. The second half saw Cambridge score a try on the far right corner, but Rainey weren’t going to leave it at that. Adam McCrum made a run then offloaded to Bryan Hall where he dived over the line to give Rainey their 4th. Although Cambridge didn’t give up and they kept on pressing until Adam McCrum picked the ball from the back of the ruck to set the ball over the try line.

Shortly after Tim Campbell ran through two Cambridge players to place the ball slightly left of the posts. Karl Warner, David Dripps, Ciaran Doyle and Tim Campbell got substituted for Steven Maxwell, Anish Bedi, Adam Muldoon and Christopher O’Neil. Cambridge started to look dangerous again and they scored two tries before the final whistle. Karl Warner Converted all but 1 of the kicks. The final score finished Rainey ES U13 40 Cambridge House U13 15.

On Saturday, he Medallion, U14s and U13s are away to Ballymena Academy. The Firsts and Second played yesterday.