It’s Cookstown v Keady in cup final

Dermot Loughran and Patrick Wallace INTT4513-622OC
Dermot Loughran and Patrick Wallace INTT4513-622OC

There’s another battle of the ‘Big Two’ looming in the final of the League Cup, Pot Black and Max Keady A set to meet in the decider after semi-final wins.

The Cookstown team were 4-0 victors over Gervins B at Burn Road, the south Armagh side working a bit harder to see off McKees B in Gortgonis, despite an impressive 3-0 result.

Peter Reilly was first Pot Black winner, via a straight frames win over Ryan Morrow. Reilly clinched the first with a good long red having opened with 37. The second followed a similar pattern, as an early 33 paved the way for the win.

Chris Maye gave Gervins hope, clinching the opener against Mickey Quinn by potting the last red with a black for snookers required. The Cookstown man’s response was wholly emphatic. He followed an opening 36 with a terrific 104 clearance to level, then crafted a lead of 26 with two reds left only for Maye to recover to just six behind. A clean pot brown from middle distance gave the home player left it 2-0.

Dermot Loughran was out of the blocks quickly against Shea Fee with an excellent 88. The next was a scrappy affair, the Pot Black man potting blue and pink to get home.

Dan Nixon was desperately unlucky early on against Patrick Wallace. Having cut in a very good green to gain position, he was unfortunate to knock a red in also. The Pot Black captain pounced with a 95 clearance and followed that up with 71 in the second.

The crunch moment in the other semi-final was when Tyrone Whitehouse, with five reds left and 25 points up on Mark Nugent in the decider, called a foul on himself - and lost it 83-56. With Joe Shortt at 1-1 against James Conway, the visitors would have been under a bit of pressure despite wins for Barry Hughes who had a 62 in the first but then needed a 32 clearance to beat Owen McKee on the black and Marty Doris lost in straight frames to to Richie Comiskey.