Rainey find the winning formula in Schools Cup

Northern Bank Ulster Schools Cup 2010

OMAGH ACADEMY 7 RAINEY ENDOWED SCHOOL 14   ON A pitch that looked very good but cut up easily Rainey Endowed School started the 2nd round of the Schools’ Cup very brightly.

They dominated possession, particularly in the lineout where Rainey’s Damien Devlin and Mark McErlean were in charge.

They also dominated the territory for the opening quarter of the game but didn’t really threaten the Omagh line. The backline moved the ball really well and made some incisive breaks but the Omagh defence held firm.

Arran Murphy and Philip Caulfield combined intelligently but could not break through. After 15 minutes, however, Martin Connolly put Rainey in front with a well struck penalty.

Rainey then lost the services of the influential Jamie Burrows due to injury and then shortly after prop Jack McCalmont also had to leave the field injured.

This seemed to unnerve the visitors and Omagh took their chance. After some good close quarter work by their pack they broke blind to score really from their first attack of the game, although Rainey were disappointed with their defending of this attack.

The try was converted to put Omagh 7-3 up. The game was pretty even up until half time, but after a number of Omagh transgressions Martin Connolly kicked his second penalty to leave the half time score 7-6. Omagh opened the second half strongly and forced Rainey deep into their own half.

The Magherafelt school defended superbly to keep the home team out. Omagh were attempting to bully the visitors up front but great work from Michael Dawson and Jonathan Lees began to turn the balance.

A great break out from defence, led by Owen Devlin gained Rainey 60 metres. These seemed to deflate the home team and for the rest of the game Rainey were in charge.

Off a lineout the Rainey backs moved the ball left, Damien McMurray made a clean cut through the Omagh mid‑field and replacement full back Ryan Brown put Fintan Quinn in the corner for an important try.

Rainey now led 7-11, a lead they fully deserved. Spurred on up front by Captain Luke Steele, Rainey applied pressure.

Great tackles from James Kelso and Chris Lynch turned over Omagh ball deep in their own half. Out wide Matthew Stewart was causing all sorts of problems with his jinky running.

With a few minutes remaining replacement scrum half, Oisin Quinn, forced Omagh to give away a penalty which Connolly converted to give Rainey a deserving 14-7 win and sent them pleasingly into the 3rd round.

The team would like to thank all the parents, friends and supporters who travelled to Omagh to cheer them on and hope to see them at the next round.