ULSTER GAA: Pomeroy's superb second half kills off Castledawson

Ulster Intermediate Club Championship Semi-final

Sunday, 13th November 2016, 8:54 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:32 pm
Pomeroy's Ciaran McKenna takes on Castledawson's Conor Taggert in the Ulster Intermediate semi-final at the Athletic Grounds, Armagh. (Photo: Matt Mackey / Press Eye)

Pomeroy 1-16, Castledawson 2-11

A scintillating second half performance from Pomeroy’s all action attack line brought the Tyrone champions victory over Castledawson at the Athletic Grounds on Sunday.

Aidan O’Donnell and Mark Harte’s team trailed by two at the break but with star men Frank Burns and Kieran McGeary outstanding, the Plunketts dug deep and produced a four point swing en route to victory.

Pomeroy's Denver Nugent in action with Castledawson's Kieran O'Kane. (Photographer - © Matt Mackey / Press Eye)

Points from Christopher Colhoun and Ryan Loughran underpinned a blistering start from the O’Neill County champions with all the early omens and pre-match talk very much suggesting Pomeroy were the pedigree side in this tie.

But as both Steelstown in the Derry county final, and Whitecross in the previous round discovered to their mortal coil, you write this Castledawson side off at your peril.

Aidy Bradley opened the Castledawson account and did so in some style when he rattled the back of the Pomeroy net in the 9th minute.

A Frank Burns point aside, St. Malachy’s dominated for the remainder of the first half, hitting seven of the next eight scores to lead 1-6 to 1-4 at half-time.

Pomeroy's Denver Nugent in action with Castledawson's Kieran O'Kane. (Photographer - © Matt Mackey / Press Eye)

A Chris Colhoun breakaway goal in the 30th minute eased the loss of both Plunketts midfielders – Brendan Cunningham to injury and Ryan Loughran to a black card.

However, points from Niall McNicholl and Aidy Bradley stretched the Castledawson advantage to three soon after the restart but from there Pomeroy quickly and emphatically found top gear.

Six points in a row brought them the lead midway through the half with Kieran McGeary deadly from frees.

In a wonderfully open contest that meandered every which way but loose, the Derry men battled back and when Aidan Keenan fisted home from close range his goal levelled matters in the 48th minute.

But by this stage the Tyrone men had the bit between their teeth and a brace from impact sub Aidan Woods guided Pomeroy to an eventual two point win.